New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Charger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenRFC

BenRFC is on a distinguished road

Hi, my MacBook charger just broke for the second time. Got so hot this time I couldn't touch it! I'm in the UK and was just wondering where the best place to get one from is? I know I can go to Apple, but I've read very bad things about their new 65 one, and it has 1* reviews out of 5*.

Any recommendations?

That's the one I currently have.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

The best one is from Apple. You didn't mention which exact MacBook you have. Post back with that little tidbit so we can be sure you are getting the correct one and suggest alternatives. (EDIT: Also tell us what the wattage is on the charger you have that failed).

BTW... 65??? I checked the UK Amazon site and they run closer to 15.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
BenRFC

Search results for macbook power - Apple Store (UK)

Also 65 at Currys/PC World.

My MacBook is the white 13" one, late 2008 possibly?

Current charger is 60W. Is it worth getting a non genuine one? Has anyone had any previous experiences?
QUOTE Thanks
BenRFC

Anyone? Going into town shortly so wanted some opinions!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

I can only recommend sticking with an authentic Apple charger. The 60W version is correct for the white MacBook, but you "can" use the 85W version also without issue, from what I've read. The one you have in the photo still has the old style T-connector that was highly prone to breaking at the "neck" where it plugs into the MacBook. Those were updated to an L-connector a couple years ago. I recommend buying that style. Also be sure you aren't buying a refurbished adapter. I read over some more reviews on Amazon, and apparently the low-priced ones I referred to earlier may be refurbs according to some reviews, but the listings aren't clear on that.

The checkered history of Apple’s MagSafe connector

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
BenRFC

Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for 65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is 65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRFC View Post
Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for 65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is 65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?
It's uncommon to save much money on genuine Apple products. They maintain pretty tight controls on sale prices. Just save the receipt in case it dies before its warranty is up, and even if a bit after that.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Air

Air is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See Signature

I for have had more luck with T adapters, strangely, even though I hate the design.

[Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks
BenRFC

Got it in the end! Wish me luck guys.. My T shape one lasted since November 2008 so not too bad. I did fix it once though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much BS am I going to have to go through to do this? | MacBook Pro Won't Boot - HD failure? »