Thread: MacBook Charger

MacBook Charger
    Hi, my MacBook charger just broke for the second time. Got so hot this time I couldn't touch it! I'm in the UK and was just wondering where the best place to get one from is? I know I can go to Apple, but I've read very bad things about their new 65 one, and it has 1* reviews out of 5*.

Any recommendations?

That's the one I currently have.

The best one is from Apple. You didn't mention which exact MacBook you have. Post back with that little tidbit so we can be sure you are getting the correct one and suggest alternatives. (EDIT: Also tell us what the wattage is on the charger you have that failed).

BTW... 65??? I checked the UK Amazon site and they run closer to 15.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Search results for macbook power - Apple Store (UK)

Also 65 at Currys/PC World.

My MacBook is the white 13" one, late 2008 possibly?

Current charger is 60W. Is it worth getting a non genuine one? Has anyone had any previous experiences?

Anyone? Going into town shortly so wanted some opinions!

Thanks

I can only recommend sticking with an authentic Apple charger. The 60W version is correct for the white MacBook, but you "can" use the 85W version also without issue, from what I've read. The one you have in the photo still has the old style T-connector that was highly prone to breaking at the "neck" where it plugs into the MacBook. Those were updated to an L-connector a couple years ago. I recommend buying that style. Also be sure you aren't buying a refurbished adapter. I read over some more reviews on Amazon, and apparently the low-priced ones I referred to earlier may be refurbs according to some reviews, but the listings aren't clear on that.

The checkered history of Apple’s MagSafe connector

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for 65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is 65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?

Quote Originally Posted by BenRFC View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate. May get one from Apple for 65, what do you reckon? Amazon ones aren't genuine from I can see on some, even though they say they are! Is 65 overpriced, or are there cheaper ones elsewhere that are also genuine?
    It's uncommon to save much money on genuine Apple products. They maintain pretty tight controls on sale prices. Just save the receipt in case it dies before its warranty is up, and even if a bit after that.

------
    ------

Specs:
    See Signature
    I for have had more luck with T adapters, strangely, even though I hate the design.
    [Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5

Got it in the end! Wish me luck guys.. My T shape one lasted since November 2008 so not too bad. I did fix it once though.

Thread Information