New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Memory Upgrade: One slot not reading

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I just replaced my 2gig of ram with two 4gig chips from Crucial.
After turning my MBP Later 2008 (Unibody) back on, the memory slot on the right is reading as empty. The Crucial guys and OWC both said my model could take 8gig.

What do you think might be the problem? I was sure to be careful, used a grounding bracelet and the memory clicked when it went back down so presuming its not the connection.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Pull the modules out and swap them around. What does it read now?
QUOTE Thanks
Air

Air is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See Signature

Use some compressed air and blow out the slots. If you don't have that, a low-pressure air compresser will work just as good.

DO NOT BLOW IT OUT WITH YOUR MOUTH. Spit can get into the slots if you do.

Then, Put the chips back in WITH CARE + try it.

[Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshJ View Post
I just replaced my 2gig of ram with two 4gig chips from Crucial.
After turning my MBP Later 2008 (Unibody) back on, the memory slot on the right is reading as empty. The Crucial guys and OWC both said my model could take 8gig.

What do you think might be the problem?
If you're absolutely sure this is a Late 2008 Unibody MBP...then...

Original max. ram from Apple was 4gig (2 + 2 gig sticks). It was later found that this model could support 6gig of ram max (4 + 2 gig sticks). Finally...it is possible to have 8gig of ram in this model...but only if a firmware update is applied. If you don't have the latest ROM (firmware)...then 6 gig is the max.

Read more here:

MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15" (Unibody) Specs (Late 2008, MB470LL/A, MacBookPro5,1, A1286, 2255) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Good catch Nick! I just looked it up with Mactracker, and you're right.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Good catch Nick! I just looked it up with Mactracker, and you're right.
Thanks Charlie. The updated firmware "wrinkle" on these late 2008 MBP's (for supporting 8gig of ram) seems to have been a somewhat recent addition to the specs. What I mean by "recent"...is maybe it's a change/addition within the last 6-12 months (maybe less).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick in MacTracker just to check for the fun of it. I see the 15" Late 2008 MBP as taking up to 8GB and the Early 2008 as 4 (6). I am sure I am missing something as Charlie saw what you are saying also.

I do see the note on Everymac though.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Nick in MacTracker just to check for the fun of it. I see the 15" Late 2008 MBP as taking up to 8GB and the Early 2008 as 4 (6). I am sure I am missing something as Charlie saw what you are saying also.

I do see the note on Everymac though.
I think that it's a "Unibody" model thing. The Late 2008 is Unibody (8gig max)...the Early 2008 (6 gig max) is non-Unibody.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick. do you think the OP's machine is the earlier one then?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Nick. do you think the OP's machine is the earlier one then?
I'm assuming that it's at least a Late 2008 MBP...since the OP says it's a Unibody (definitely easy to identify).

But...depending on how accurate the OP's identification is...if it's actually a later model MBP (say 2009)...then it would more easily support 8 gig of ram (no ROM upgrading issues).

If this was the case (newer than Late 2008)...then the issue could be a bad ram slot (which I don't think that it is...since the old ram works in both slots)...thus leaving the issue to be a bad stick of ram (if testing in both ram slots with the new ram doesn't fix things).

But...assuming the OP is correct & the MBP is a Late 2008 model...then it's probably the ROM/firmware update possibility.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

All makes sense. It was using Mactracker here that had me confused.
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you're absolutely sure this is a Late 2008 Unibody MBP...then...

Original max. ram from Apple was 4gig (2 + 2 gig sticks). It was later found that this model could support 6gig of ram max (4 + 2 gig sticks). Finally...it is possible to have 8gig of ram in this model...but only if a firmware update is applied. If you don't have the latest ROM (firmware)...then 6 gig is the max.

Read more here:

MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15" (Unibody) Specs (Late 2008, MB470LL/A, MacBookPro5,1, A1286, 2255) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks a lot..

Crucial sales did tell me to upgrade the EFI before installing the RAM, using this link EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs and d'loading/installing the MacBookProEFIUpdate2.8

I tried this and got the following msg at first page of the installer: "This software is not supported on your system."

I also ran the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update in Utilities and got the following error:
"The MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update will not update over your current Firmware version of MBP51.88Z.007E.B06.1202061253."

I think I remember seeing something about the above EFI upgrade requiring osx 10.7.
I have just upgraded to 10.8. Could this be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

What are all the numbers on your machine? The Model that starts with A... and the EMC number.

Where can I locate the EMC Number on my Mac? Are EMC Numbers unique? What are the limitations identifying a specific Mac using EMC Numbers? @ EveryMac.com

You said the original RAM works fine in both slots?
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Hey guys,

Just to confirm, my model is definatly a late 2008 MBP. I bought it a couple of months after the Unibody design was introduced..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

You say the Origional 2 sticks of RAM that shipped with the MBP work fine? If so I can't see how it could be a bad memory slot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Continuous System Shutdowns (Macbook) | Will SD card slot work if I install SSD Drive and take out burner »