New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro RAM issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brettg81

brettg81 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum but a longtime Apple customer. I purchased a MBP back in 2009 and it came with 2GB of RAM with an extra slot to upgrade to 4GB total. That was fine until recently when everything seemed to be bogged down because I was trying to do too much at once. So I looked into getting the extra 2GB of RAM. But before I could make the purchase, I rebooted the computer and it then showed I now was using 4GBs. When the Activity Monitor showed I was using 4GB, everything was much faster. So I am assumed I must have had the 4GB RAM all along. But the problem is that it goes back and forth between showing I have both slots full and only one slot full. Before I open the computer to see what is actually there, I wanted to see if anyone else has ever experienced this. It is really strange and so far I haven't seen anyone post about such an issue.

Even if no one has ever experienced this before, does anyone have a possible explanation as to why this my be occurring? Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Reseat the RAM is the first answer. Not really any point going anywhere else until that is done.

Reseat = take it out and put it back in - making sure it's seated properly.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like dodgy memory as bobtomay indicates. Big boost if you installed 2x4GB.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trackpad Scrolling and Tracking Issue | Mac Book Pro Issues »