New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2008 MacBook Pro #2198

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnblazer

johnblazer is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I just received a 2008 MacBook Pro Ecm 2198

The laptop does power... the fans will start and the hard drive light lights up and then everything goes off.. never posts

I pulled the memory and battery, and plugged in, then the laptop will start fans, hard drive, hard drive lights up, and the laptop will beep... but never posts anything on screen

install one memory card, and restart.. and goes back to just powering on for a few seconds
replaced the battery and installed other memory card... restart and same thing... just powers on the fans for a second, and dies

the battery shows it's charging on indicator on battery

anyone have any ideas?

Please help

John
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds very much like a dead or defective logic board (mother board). That model had problems with the graphics chipset and was under an extended warranty for some time by Apple. That period is over now. The reason the machine beeped was because you removed the memory modules. You did not get the POST sound. Replacing the logic board on a machine that old is not economical.
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

I thought that to receive any beeps, the bios would need to powering up? yeah, I don't want to sink any cash into it, since it's a 2008, was hope for that it just needed reset or a simple part... are the graphics in the board or separate card?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Macs do not have a BIOS, they use EFI instead. The beeps are generated by the firmware which delivers the POST indication. The graphics chipset (nVidia) is surface mounted - soldered - to the logic board. Pretty much impossible to do any kind of work on the logic board without specialized equipment. A refurbished logic board for that model will cost around $400 or so. Just not worth it because after replacing the board, there may be other things that turn up.
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

True, I would not spend 400 on it, I was reading on you tube that people actually remove the boards and bake it in oven for 15 minutes at 250, something about it melts soldier and fixes the issue from where it over heated in the first place... have you heard of that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, the procedure is known as "reflowing" and does on occasion work to get the logic board (graphics chipset) up again. Some folks have reported that it was only temporary while others say their board is working again. If you got that 2008 MBP for free or cheap enough it might be worth trying.

You can get the instructions for removing the board at iFixit: The free repair manual. You'll need to look it up by your model number.
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

where is the actual model number? I found the sn and ecm #
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

and I did get it for free
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Give me some idea of which 2008 MacBook Pro you have? For example: 15" or 17", early 2008 or late 2008? I can look up the model number for you if I have that info.
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

its a 15 inch 2008 2.5 ghz processor like a 250 hard drive... don't know if its early or late
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

I pressed the command p and r keys... it lasted longer... maybe 3 seconds before it crashed this time
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yeah, you reset the PRAM - NVRAM when you pressed CMD + P + R. But if the logic board is dead, no joy.

Here are the two model numbers: (By the way, on some models, the model number appears on the bottom of the machine, take a look there.)

Early 15" MacBook Pro = A1260 (Feb 2008)

Late 15" MacBook Pro = A1286 (Oct 2008)

I suspect though that the instructions for removal of the logic board are going to be the same for both models. The ifixit site will probably also list several other models in their take apart instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

its a 1260 found it on bottom small print

what temp should I bake it and how long?
QUOTE Thanks
johnblazer

took the fans out and the vents are plugged up with lint
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I have no idea of what temperature to bake it at. Some folks have also used a hot air dryer or hot air soldering equipment to reflow the logic board. You might want to do some more Googling around to see if you can get some idea of the procedure. I worked in electronic repair for the US Govt for years and we just replaced entire boards. Factory repair service did the reflowing and replacing of parts for us. I'm going to be away for awhile as I have to do some running around this afternoon. I'll be back later.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How I managed to salvage my Macbook Pro after liquid damage: | iBook G4 1.2 won't see hard drive »