New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Won't Boot - HD failure?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cpotter638

cpotter638 is on a distinguished road

Have a MacBook Pro with Leopard. Today, computer froze. Rebooted. Initially got grey screen with apple logo and eventual circle with line through it. Did several restarts. At one point, would not POST (no initial audio tone). So, I cleared PRAM with CMD+OPT+P+R. Now will POST.

Have since tried several things:

Attempted to reach startup manager (turned on with option held continuously). No results, just grey screen.

Started in single user mode. Ran fsck -fy. Got result - "Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing..."

Subsequently, booted Leopard install disc by restarting and holding "C". Ran disk utility. Disk utility only found DVD drive. I don't see hard drive at all.

Since initial attempt, I've tried starting in single user mode again. However, now cannot get this to work. Just get flashing folder / question mark.

Tried booting "Applications Install DVD" by holding "C". Couldn't get this to boot.

Battery appears to be functioning OK. Pressing of button on left side (front) gives 7 solid LED and one blinking LED.

At various times have seen:

1.) Apple logo followed by circle with line through it.

2.) Flashing folder with question mark.

I'm much more adept at diagnosing Windows based computers. However, from the diagnostics I've performed and my little knowledge of MAC's - looks like a hard drive failure to me. Can anyone confirm this? Are there other possible options at this point? Any more diagnostic testing I can do?

If this is a hard drive failure, I assume the hard drive is easily replaced? I've never replaced a hard drive on a laptop (and have never worked on MAC's at all). However, there are directions for replacing the hard drive in the user manual. As such, it shouldn't be too complicated. Agree?

Thanks in advance for all the help. Chad
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums. Shame you got here with problems.

Sure sounds like a dead hard drive if not found by the Leopard DVD. go to Ifixit.com and look up your precise MBP model.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cpotter638

cpotter638 is on a distinguished road

Went to ifixit. Looks like it is a 13" Unibody - Mid 2009. Ordered a new hard drive.

Put new hard drive in with ease. However, after installation of new hard drive, booted with OS install DVD. Neither disc utility or OS installation program can find the new hard drive.

Given above, I'm assuming there is a problem with either the hard drive cable or logic board? Any other advice?

Thanks again for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Whenever replacing a hard drive on a machine that's a few years old, it's good practice to also replace the SATA cable. They get brittle from the heat and fail. Buy the cable from ifixit or from Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Charger | Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2011) fan problem. »