New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

I was wondering on what kind of memory Id need to buy to upgrade the memory in my macbook. Basically, whenever I run something intense like FCPX, The whole system lags, including the video play back and editing within FCPX.

I have a Macbook mid 2009 with a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I click on the Apple logo and then Abouth This Mac, then to More info, it says my Mac contains 2 memory slots each with 1GB currently in use.

Basically, Im trying to increase the RAM in my Mac so editing and general smoothness and running of the machine is faster. What I need to know, is what is the max each memory slot can handle, and any indication on prices I should expecct to pay.

Thanks for any help people
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can upgrade to 6 gig of RAM

MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.13 13" (White-09) Specs (Mid-2009, MC240LL/A, MacBook5,2, A1181, 2330) @ EveryMac.com

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

I just upgraded my memory on my Mbp. I went to crucial.com and they scanned my computer and told me exactly what I could use and how much it cost. I ordered it from them and it was a snap to put in.
QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info on the 6gb, ive done a bit of digging around and came up with the same information you just gave me. Am i right in thinking memory doesnt have to be a multiple of 2 no, so I could get a 4gb card and keep one of my 1gb cards to have 5gb?

I also guess there is no maximum size of an internal hard drive, apart from the physical size of it yes?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfromwales View Post
Thanks for the info on the 6gb, ive done a bit of digging around and came up with the same information you just gave me. Am i right in thinking memory doesnt have to be a multiple of 2 no, so I could get a 4gb card and keep one of my 1gb cards to have 5gb?

I also guess there is no maximum size of an internal hard drive, apart from the physical size of it yes?
It's generally better to have matching pair of RAM. Less problems. As for the HDD yes it needs to be able to fit into your machine. XD

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro A1151 hard freezes and reboots | MacBook Pro issue, need help :( »