New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air USB hub & Network adapter combined, have you seen this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MDJCM

MDJCM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13" MBP with SSD

This is cool:

USB 2.0 3 Port Hub RJ45 Ethernet Network LAN Adapter Card | eBay

Anyone tried it or see a problem with it? Is there anything particularly clever about Apple's Network/USB adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJCM View Post
Anyone tried it or see a problem with it? Is there anything particularly clever about Apple's Network/USB adapter?
This looks like no-name junk. It appears to literally have no name branding to it, which pretty much means it's highly disposable. I wouldn't buy this.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
This looks like no-name junk. It appears to literally have no name branding to it, which pretty much means it's highly disposable. I wouldn't buy this.
Yeah I get that its ebay crap and no-name, but on the other hand, it is just a USB hub? So how wrong can it go.

Also, I don't think any proper brand makes an equivalent. If Belkin did one for 15 I'd go for it, but I don't think anyone does one
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Yeah I get that its ebay crap and no-name, but on the other hand, it is just a USB hub? So how wrong can it go.
I'll leave that to you to find out.

Quote:
Also, I don't think any proper brand makes an equivalent. If Belkin did one for 15 I'd go for it, but I don't think anyone does one
Well here's an Amazon search for you to peruse if you like. There are some others that are comparable. Maybe you'll find some reviews that make one more appealing. The top hit is that same piece you are looking at, but it has no ratings.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_...qid=1365377477

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Thanks for link

I have heard of this brand:

iLuv Ethernet Adapter with USB Hub: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

And that does look like the right stuff. But having said that, I don't remember thinking their products were great. So it's still a toss up at this point
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Ugh, look at this shoddy render of that iLuv one from their official product page:

Not only do they have 2 distinctly different looking versions of the product with no way to tell which one gets sent out, but the render shows the device going into the MagSafe port instead of the USB port.

This is the problem :-p, named brands can still be clueless
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
This is cool:

USB 2.0 3 Port Hub RJ45 Ethernet Network LAN Adapter Card | eBay

Does anyone else think it's a bit odd having a mini-cd driver disc when the MacBook Air doesn't have an optical drive and even if it had a slot-loader like other MacBooks it wouldn't accept a mini-CD...........

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MDJCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Does anyone else think it's a bit odd having a mini-cd driver disc when the MacBook Air doesn't have an optical drive and even if it had a slot-loader like other MacBooks it wouldn't accept a mini-CD...........
Yeah I think the mini-CD is because the listing/product says Windows compatible. I'm pretty sure for Mac the mini-CD can be chucked out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP's most common Unfixable problem | Macbook 2nd HDD always need repair »