New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro no video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fabbry

Fabbry is on a distinguished road

Hi to all, i'm Fab from italy.
I have a problem with my macbook pro late 2009.
I can start the nb but i cannot see anything on the diaplay, only audio.
I tought it was the problem regarding the invidia chipset, i tried to cook it but nothing happened, only audio again but video is dark.

Maybe the lcd went wrong? I never tryed to connect it by vga miniport to tv, could be a right check before buying the lcd panel??

Thanks a lot for all yr help

Fab
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You need to isolate the problem before buying parts. The best way to find out if it's the logic board (GPU) or the LCD display itself, is to attach an external monitor or TV to your MBP. If you're getting video to the external monitor, you can assume that the logic board is OK.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Thanks, can u suggest how to connect mac to external monitor or tv? Which adaptor do i need to buy?
Thanks for yr answere!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

You have a late 2009 MacBook Pro. So you will need a Mini Display Port adapter of the correct type and cable that matches the input to your TV or monitor. For example: VGA, DVI, or HDMI.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Ok, i found that my mac is working on a tv with display port.
I read about a cale connector that link logicboard to lcd, how to understand if is that cable broken or the lcd panel??

Thank yu
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, it could be a video cable connecting the logic board to the LCD display panel that might be broken or came loose. Can you see anything at all on the LCD display? Hold a flashlight to the screen; can you see anything?

The reason I ask is because the backlight could have failed. The backlighting on your model MBP is LED driven. Of course it could also be a bad LCD panel. You need to determine which is bad before spending money on repairs.

Go to this website in the US: iFixit: The free repair manual It shows the parts and how to repair your MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Let me understand. You mena to point a flashlight to my lcd during startup and if i can see a dark apple it means that the led driven has loose and the cable is ok.
If not lcd panel goes wrong??
Right??
Thank
Ps .. Can u pm me?
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Yeahhhh, if i point a flash light to the lcd panel i can see apple logo and all the desktop, it means the backlight fuse has gone....right?

How to repair it???
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yeah, that means the display panel is OK and the graphics is OK. It's the backlight which has failed. Since the backlight on your MBP is LED, I'm not sure what the fix is for it. It could still be a bad cable or connection from the LED panel to the display. Might be time to take it to an authorized Apple repair service and have them look at it.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Aarg, i ve been there 2 times they would replace the logic board for 1300€... A little expensive.
Do you think is possible to bypass wled to check if is reallly that chip? Before buying a cable..
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Update: i found one of the problem....as attached, do someone think that something could be done?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Which cable and connector is that? Can you identify it by going to the ifixit web site? iFixit: The free repair manual

I'm sorry I can't tell which one it is from your attached photo.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Yes but the problem is the connector on the mb, not the cable....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I understand it's the connector on the logic board.... What I'm asking is which one is it? That's why I suggested looking at the breakdown at the ifixit web site so it can be identified.

Generally, if a connector on the logic board (mother board) is damaged, the entire logic board must be replaced. That would be a very expensive repair as you already found out.
QUOTE Thanks
Fabbry

Okok...thanks, is the Lvds connector on the mb. I have found it on ebay but not on ifixit.
The point is that i will try to fix it without changing board...that is the last expensive thing i m gonna do...

So good luck to me - and thanks for the suggestions for now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« flickering screen on grey shades, early 2011 MB pro 15" | Dual Monitors MacBook Pro »