New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

GPU Assigning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenJuan26

BenJuan26 is on a distinguished road

I have an early 2011 MBP with an ATI Radeon HD 6750M GPU. I noticed that if I go to "About This Mac" it reports the Graphics as the built-in Intel HD 3000. I was wondering if this is normal, and if I play 3D games will they use the Intel or will they know to use the ATI? I've been experiencing some lag and wondered if this was the issue (I assumed that the hardware forum would be the right place). I could be totally on the wrong track and maybe the Intel is just the display driver whereas the ATI performs all of the GPU tasks. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJuan26 View Post
I have an early 2011 MBP with an ATI Radeon HD 6750M GPU. I noticed that if I go to "About This Mac" it reports the Graphics as the built-in Intel HD 3000.
Your MBP has dual graphics processors. The HD 3000 is for less demanding graphics tasks...and the 6750m is for more demanding tasks. The computer switches automatically between the two depending on what it's being asked to do.

The other purpose of the dual graphics hardware setup is...the HD 3000 is less energy demanding...allowing for more runtime when running off battery power.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBfail?ook Pro 2nd Drive install | A portend of problems? »