New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Future iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pierre

Pierre will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive

AppleInsider

They were right in November. Maybe they're right now. I can understand the iSight, I imagine they want that in every product, (with a screen at least), and it's already in the consumer desktop.

<discuss>

Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I hope that the next revision brings intel processors. Since there are so many people that are hestiant to switch to the intel processors, I think that being one of the last revisions to the PPC iBooks will help mine hold its value.
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

there's no doubt it will have intel processors, and most likely the core solo too. to differentiate from the MBP

QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

It seems like it would be hard to see the ibook's screen from 15 feet away if it had front row on it.... I hope apple doesn't discontinue the 14" ibook.

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

Still though, frontrow is more than just movies.
I wouldnt' be able to live without the remote for my radio..

QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Combine the 12" and the 14" into one, the 13.3" That makes the most sense...
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Here's hoping it's of a higher resolution. 1024x768 seems like to little when compared to the Powerbook...

Also, I think it'll probably be marketed as the "mBook" (full name being Mac Book, in vien of the iBook naming scheme, which stood for "Internet Book" [at least that's what the "i" stood for in "iMac"]).

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
Also, I think it'll probably be marketed as the "mBook" (full name being Mac Book, in vien of the iBook naming scheme, which stood for "Internet Book" [at least that's what the "i" stood for in "iMac"]).
And the iMac is still called the iMac, even with its new Intel processor. So, why would they change the name of the iBook?
They changed the PowerBook because the "Power" part was originally derived from the PowerPC processor. The MacBook does not have a PowerPC in it, and since they are still selling PowerPC PowerBooks, it only made sense to change the name.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
And the iMac is still called the iMac, even with its new Intel processor. So, why would they change the name of the iBook?
They changed the PowerBook because the "Power" part was originally derived from the PowerPC processor. The MacBook does not have a PowerPC in it, and since they are still selling PowerPC PowerBooks, it only made sense to change the name.
Actually the "Power" didn't come from the PowerPC processor, the first PowerBook's used pre-PowerPC's.

The "Power" would probably be attributed to it being for the "power-user" who needed the processing power, the "book" being from Jobs' dream of having a Mac in a book (what he originally wanted with the Macintosh Portable).

The only reason is that Apple felt that they needed the Mac name in their products, and now they have an excuse to, as the MacBook Pro really is a completely new computer. This is the reason the iMac name went unchanged.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
The "Power" would probably be attributed to it being for the "power-user" who needed the processing power, the "book" being from Jobs' dream of having a Mac in a book (what he originally wanted with the Macintosh Portable).
[History Lesson]

Just to add to the history lesson here, you were right above, but the Powerbook was not originally Jobs idea. It was a holdover from John Scully, the CEO who booted jobs back in the 80s. His idea was dubbed "The Knowledge Navigator". Apple did a promo video for it, if you do a google search you can find bits of it here and there. While Scully's idea was a pipe dream, what became reality was the Powerbook. The first units shipped, IIRC, while Scully was still CEO. Surprisingly, it's one of the few products he introduced that Jobs didn't kill off when he returned in 96. Probably because it was a money maker, unlike the Newton.

[/History Lesson]

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
The only reason is that Apple felt that they needed the Mac name in their products, and now they have an excuse to, as the MacBook Pro really is a completely new computer. This is the reason the iMac name went unchanged.

That's why they'll probably go for Macbook instead of iBook.
Then you'll have:
-iMac, Mac Mini & ??? (Powermac successor? Maybe Mac Pro?)
-Macbook, Macbook Pro
-iPod, iPod mini & iPod shuffle
QUOTE Thanks
Pierre

If you look at the MWSF Keynote, Steve Jobs specifically said he wanted to change all the names of their products so that it has the word mac in it. It will be the MacBook, no doubt. We hate it now, but we'll learn to love it, I suppose

QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
[History Lesson]

Just to add to the history lesson here, you were right above, but the Powerbook was not originally Jobs idea. It was a holdover from John Scully, the CEO who booted jobs back in the 80s. His idea was dubbed "The Knowledge Navigator". Apple did a promo video for it, if you do a google search you can find bits of it here and there. While Scully's idea was a pipe dream, what became reality was the Powerbook. The first units shipped, IIRC, while Scully was still CEO. Surprisingly, it's one of the few products he introduced that Jobs didn't kill off when he returned in 96. Probably because it was a money maker, unlike the Newton.

[/History Lesson]
I didn't think of that. But I could've sworn I remember reading a quote from Jobs with the exact words "I want a Mac in a book." (or something along those lines).

The reason I say "mBook" however, is that it lends better to being a succesfull follow-up to the iBook. It leans toward the same naming scheme and industrial design, but has those slight changes that warrant it being a new porduct.

QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Well, iPod is apple's most succesful product, and it does not have "mac" in its name.
The iMac has been very succesful
As has the iBook.
iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iCal, iSight, etc.
I think the "i" makes sense, and I doubt it will be removed from a succesful product like the iBook. At the same time however, look at the powerbook. It really doesnt make sense, we can analyze and logic all we want, yet the truth is we dont know. We didnt imagine a new notebook named the "MacBook Pro" a couple months ago, yet here we are.

I think most logically, we could assume that the iBook will be renamed the "MacBook".

iBook, for entry level consumers

PowerBook, for the higher end.

MacBook Pro, for the higher end,

MacBook, for the average consumers.

Does this not make sense? And alas, again, we really have no clue. We'll see in June.
QUOTE Thanks
yuwing

i thought i___ is from "me"... or that's what i felt about my ibook

i felt a connection with it (unlike xp). i often tell my firends my ibook is a companion. or maybe i'm spending too much time with it :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replaced iBook HD -- Access Old HD on Other Comp? | Fan running more »