New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Just ordered a new Retina Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I finally ordered a 13 inch retina pro this evening and cant wait to get it. I just sold the machine it is replacing, a 2010 13 inch pro. Instead of doing the base model, i went to the 3.0 GHz i7 and 512GB SSD. I was reading that some people were having issues with them, i don't beat on my machines and my old pro hardly ever left my desk. My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I wouldn't think twice about buying the AppleCare on a Retina model, considering how non-serviceable they are. They're built to be disposable, so anything that goes wrong will likely net you a new machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

I just talked to my friend at apple and he told me that they have been having some screen issues with the retina model, i am going to go a few months on the complementary warranty and make my choice then, i most likely will get it. do you have one?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.
Absolutely! As our Administrator pointed out, it's a disposable machine - no user upgrades. (As of right now.)

You can purchase Apple Care discounted from B&H Photo in New York City. They're an authorized Apple reseller and provider. Their Apple Care prices are 20% below what Apple charges. LINK

I purchased my Apple Care from them for my iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
I just talked to my friend at apple and he told me that they have been having some screen issues with the retina model, i am going to go a few months on the complementary warranty and make my choice then, i most likely will get it. do you have one?
Nope, and if this is the way the MacBook Pro line-up goes, this will be my last Apple notebook.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Noticed you posted this in the off-topic forum - I went ahead and moved it to Apple Notebooks, since this is more fitting there.

QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

Thanks for moving it, i didnt quite know where it would fit in. My friend was looking to see if he could get a discount and he said the best way was to get it with my education discount, I just looked it up and it was $183 dollars. would that be cheaper then the B&H photo you mentioned?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is! If you can get Apple Care for the Retina at $183.00, go for it. B&H charges $244.00 which as you know is below what Apple charges.

As for the display problem with the Retinas.... do your homework on this. There are several long blogs describing the problems. It has to do with the two display providers: LG and Samsung. I believe the defective units were equipped with the Samsung display but am not positive. Do some searching and you should be able to find out.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I finally ordered a 13 inch retina pro this evening and cant wait to get it. I just sold the machine it is replacing, a 2010 13 inch pro. Instead of doing the base model, i went to the 3.0 GHz i7 and 512GB SSD. I was reading that some people were having issues with them, i don't beat on my machines and my old pro hardly ever left my desk. My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.
Congrats on selling your old MBP...and WOW...you really went all out on your new purchase!!! Retina MBP AND a 512gig SSD (that's one pricey upgrade)! I imagine you must have gotten a lot of ram as well.

I second "chscag's" recommendation regarding getting Extended Applecare via B&H photo. A small price to pay for an extra 2 years of Applecare (three years total)...compared to what you're paying for that new computer!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

@rabbitjetta

Go to the link I provided and disregard my previous reply about the $244. That was for the 15" and 17" models. The 13" MBP is $179.99 which would be less expensive than the $183.00 you were quoted.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

@pig003 thanks! I sold it for 750 i think i did good on it, there were a few small scratches and dents, it still had 4 months of AC left on it. I threw in Office 08, iWork 09, ML, Speck case, 8gb ram upgrade and the iLife 11 upgrade.
I went all out on the upgrade because I would like it to last me to college and maybe a little into it, I am a sophomore in high school now. I am doing an internship at my grandpas family business in the IT department and needed a machine that can easily run some virtual machines as well as i use mine to do some light photo and video editing. I really loved my old pro, it was my first mac but it was getting slower with the Core 2 Duo.
@chscag Thanks for letting me know about that, i will have to get it sometime.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@pig003 thanks! I sold it for 750 i think i did good on it...
Yes...I think that you did good on it as well!

I'm actually looking for a 2009 or 2010 13" MBP to replace my 2008 MacBook (believe it or not...just for the backlit keyboard). I checked the value of your old MBP...and Mac2Sell said it was worth around $650 I believe. More than I wanted to pay.

So again...congrats on both selling your old MBP...and your new MBP!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes...I think that you did good on it as well!

I'm actually looking for a 2009 or 2010 13" MBP to replace my 2008 MacBook (believe it or not...just for the backlit keyboard). I checked the value of your old MBP...and Mac2Sell said it was worth around $650 I believe. More than I wanted to pay.

So again...congrats on both selling your old MBP...and your new MBP!

- Nick
Too bad you're not looking for a 2010 15"!

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Too bad you're not looking for a 2010 15"!
Are you selling a 15"?

I also have a 17" MBP...and when I don't need the 17" display...I really like the footprint & lightness of a 13".

One day when my 17" gets totally obsolete...and if Apple still has similar offerings as today (15" has dedicated graphics & 13" doesn't)...I may finally settle for a 15"!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Are you selling a 15"?

- Nick
Yeah, the one in my sig. I just need to get off of my laziness and get it listed somewhere.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A portend of problems? | ibook g4 help »