New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Water damage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DocW

DocW is on a distinguished road

Hi

I got a macbook pro from around 2010 - 2011
I got some issues whit my keyboard and mouse. I spilled some water over it, but it wasn't much and I dried it straight away. But then I tried entering my password and it didn't work. So I hooked a usb keyboard on that did work. But still got a lot of issues.

Symptom list:
- Keyboard doesn't work or the letters are switched or something (hearing the 'error' sound but not seeing a letter apear) this is after logging in (tried it on some word files and webbrowsers same problem everywere). Some of the 'f' keys do work like brighness and keyboard light.

- My 'left mouse' turned into a right mouse, when I hooked a usb mouse on, I got the same problem. (and the right mouse is still the right mouse).

- My capslocklight keeps buring when the power is hooked on, even when the cpu is off.

- Capslock light is on when the capslock doesn't work, and is off when it does.

I restarted the cpu a couple of times but no change there...
Later I dried it with a fohn and I got some improvements after that (some letter started to work again and then they didn't and the they did etc.)

Is there any way I can fix this, wihtout going to the store and get some expensive repair, cause I got the feeling that is not necessary since it was only a little water (just water no coke or anything).

I spilled it on the Tab, Caps, q, a, maybe also the a, s, and 1, but not more than that.

Please help!

Yours sincerely,

Kevin
(DocW)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

All those details you gave are great...but the bottom line is...spilling liquid on an electrical/electronic device is NOT GOOD...and can lead to very strange behavior...that is not very easy to troubleshoot.

Believe it or not...there are actually very few parts inside of a laptop computer...and 90% or more of the time...the part that is damaged is the logic board. Not cheap to fix (usually $500-$600)...especially on a newer model.

In many cases it's not worth the cost to do the repair.

Check out this thread for more stories just like yours:

The Official "I spilled liquid in my MacBook, what do I do now?" Thread

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange icon appears on desktop | How to customize the energy saver settings? »