Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Try switching to "Mirror" mode and back again to "Desktop" mode. What are you getting now? Also, you should always try to use a digital signal not analog. The MiniDisplayPort adapter to VGA is analog. A MiniDisplayPort adapter to DVI would be better as that is a digital signal giving much better results.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    MacBook Pro to LG Monitor
    Evening, everyone! When I purchased my new lappie I also purchased the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. I have it hooked up to my MacBook and my LG Monitor is plugged in and on.

So far the only thing I am getting on the monitor is the standard Apple "galaxy" background, with nothing else.

What am I missing here? And be gentle...still a newbie.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Have a read of our sticky - Post # 2 - Item # 3

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/oth...c-your-tv.html
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

Thanks! Off to read it now. Sorry I didn't see it before.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

So while moving this window over into my current browser, I apparently drug it off the screen and BAM, it showed up on my monitor! I was quite surprised and very pleased. I will still read over the sticky to see what other tid-bits I can pick up.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Try switching to "Mirror" mode and back again to "Desktop" mode. What are you getting now? Also, you should always try to use a digital signal not analog. The MiniDisplayPort adapter to VGA is analog. A MiniDisplayPort adapter to DVI would be better as that is a digital signal giving much better results.
    Hey, chscag! Don't know how I missed your response!

As indicated above, I accidentally got it working an it looks fabulous. However you have me curious about the digital signal as opposed to DVI. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for your help, you're always quick to respond.

Specs:
    It's easy. Just attach your new LG monitor via its DVI input to your MBP. However, you'll need a MiniDisplayPort DVI adapter and cable instead of the VGA ones you already have. Try monoprice.com for the adapter and cable as they have some of the best prices on the web.

Specs:
    It's easy. Just attach your new LG monitor via its DVI input to your MBP. However, you'll need a MiniDisplayPort DVI adapter and cable instead of the VGA ones you already have. Try monoprice.com for the adapter and cable as they have some of the best prices on the web.
    I have much love for monoprice! Dirt cheap. Thanks for the tips, chscag!

Edited to add: the monitor is a few years old, the MBP is new. Here are the ports on the back of the monitor, do I have the DVI one? Please excuse my dust. *blush*

Specs:
    I'm not sure but the other connector next to the VGA input looks like it might be DVI. Check the manual (if you have one) to find out.

Specs:
    I'm not sure but the other connector next to the VGA input looks like it might be DVI. Check the manual (if you have one) to find out.
    Sorry the picture wasn't the best. I don't have the manual, it was an open-box buy. I'll see if I can find the info online. Thanks again!

Specs:
    And google says yes. Who knew I had such a fun little feature under my nose all this time. I've only used the monitor a handful of times over the last 4 years, so I'm happy to put it to use!

Thread Information