New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

If you own an iBook g4 12'', please reply

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nfs2

Ok guys i need your help. I need to know for sure if there is something wrong with my display or not, cause this is driving me crazy.

The left side of my screen is slightly darker then the right side. This is ONLY noticable on pure white backgrounds that span the entire screen. Most sane people would probably never notice this, let alone complain about it. So please look closely.

I need you to tell me if your 12'' iBook g4 is the same way. darkness on the left side is from top to bottom, and acts as kind of a gradient as it brightens toward the right side. Again, very faint and near impossible to notice.

Please only reply is you have a 12'' g4 ibook, as any other would be a different screen and irrelevent.

I've created a wallpaper for myself to demonstrate this. To me, the white on the left looks very slightly darker then the white on the right.
http://www.journalfix.com/albums/jay/testfd.jpg

Maybe im just picky, but please tell me if yours is the same way
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

mine is that way, but it doesnt bother me. i dont do a lot of grphics work or anything that will make that bother me.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmmm... it does seem to be a slight bit darker... but I wouldn't have noticed it unless you had pointed it out.

Same on this page though: The white space on the right of the quick reply box seems brighter than the white space on the left...
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

I could be wrong...but I think this is an optical illusion because I find the same thing when viewing your sample with my Dell 20 Widescreen LCD...I'd imagine its the old optical processor in our cranium playing tricks on us again.
QUOTE Thanks
discombobulated

discombobulated is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 1.33 ! 60 gig/external 250gig.

i tried your pic you made, and made it full screen.. but i don't see that my left side is darker at all.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I think you are just being confused by retinex theory. Essentially, that means that the color you see is relative to the amount of light and other hues that are surrounding it. That way, we see colors and light and hues that are not really there.

When I put that image fullscreen, I saw no difference. When I windowed it, and had my darker desktop image showing on the left, the white in the left half seems a shade darker. In reality, the colors and hues are exactly the same.

Example of retinex theory

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
DanielNTX

DanielNTX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini

Mine's fine on both sides.

Mac mini's:
1.25@1.50GHz|1GB|40GB|8x DVD+/-RW DL|AX+BT
1.42@1.58GHz|1GB|80GB|8x DVD+/-RW DL|AX+BT
iBook 12":1.33GHz|1.5GB|80GB|8x DVD+/-RW DL|AX+BT
iMac Core Duo 17":1.83GHz|1.5GB|160GB
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsenerd
I could be wrong...but I think this is an optical illusion because I find the same thing when viewing your sample with my Dell 20 Widescreen LCD...I'd imagine its the old optical processor in our cranium playing tricks on us again.

Looks fine on my Dell 2005FPW....
QUOTE Thanks
nfs2

Its supposed to be viewed at full screen. The image looks fine on my desktop.

Ok try this, when replying, is the white on the left of the reply box any whiter thent he white on the right? Again, make your browser full screen to test this.

Im just trying to see what the odds are that if i try to get this fixed, id just get it back the same. So far it seems that i will.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

looks fine to me
QUOTE Thanks
Roberto91

Its fine
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs2
Im just trying to see what the odds are that if i try to get this fixed, id just get it back the same. So far it seems that i will.
I still say there is nothing to fix. Your eyes are deceiving you my friend.
Take a look at this attached example. It is all relative to surrounding color and light. I see nothing wrong with your screen, as others have stated.
There is nothing that will be or can be repaired in this situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shades illusion.jpg (14.7 KB, 15 views)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nfs2

No, its definatly darker on the left. I mean if it were an optical illusion, it would have been the same on my other laptops and PC monitors.

Its just this iBook. I've had it looked at once and the tech didnt see anything wrong, but he doesnt have to sit in front of it typing for hours, so what does he know.

I made this same post on several different forums and it seems to be a common problem with 12'' iBooks. Im still 50/50 on weather or not i should get it fixed, or just get used to it
QUOTE Thanks

11213 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard

on mine it works just fine
QUOTE Thanks
hardran3

I notice this same thing when I have been using my iBook (Nov 2005 G4 12") for an extended time, and the fan has been running. I think it has something to do with the heat on the screen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wardriving | time connected is GONE »