Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   If you own an iBook g4 12'', please reply (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/29703-if-you-own-ibook-g4-12-please-reply.html)

nfs2 01-27-2006 10:07 AM

If you own an iBook g4 12'', please reply

Ok guys i need your help. I need to know for sure if there is something wrong with my display or not, cause this is driving me crazy.

The left side of my screen is slightly darker then the right side. This is ONLY noticable on pure white backgrounds that span the entire screen. Most sane people would probably never notice this, let alone complain about it. So please look closely.

I need you to tell me if your 12'' iBook g4 is the same way. darkness on the left side is from top to bottom, and acts as kind of a gradient as it brightens toward the right side. Again, very faint and near impossible to notice.

Please only reply is you have a 12'' g4 ibook, as any other would be a different screen and irrelevent.

I've created a wallpaper for myself to demonstrate this. To me, the white on the left looks very slightly darker then the white on the right.
http://www.journalfix.com/albums/jay/testfd.jpg

Maybe im just picky, but please tell me if yours is the same way

fearlessfreap24 01-27-2006 11:17 AM

mine is that way, but it doesnt bother me. i dont do a lot of grphics work or anything that will make that bother me.

Aptmunich 01-27-2006 11:27 AM

Hmmm... it does seem to be a slight bit darker... but I wouldn't have noticed it unless you had pointed it out.

Same on this page though: The white space on the right of the quick reply box seems brighter than the white space on the left...

mcsenerd 01-27-2006 01:12 PM

I could be wrong...but I think this is an optical illusion because I find the same thing when viewing your sample with my Dell 20 Widescreen LCD...I'd imagine its the old optical processor in our cranium playing tricks on us again.

discombobulated 01-27-2006 01:59 PM

i tried your pic you made, and made it full screen.. but i don't see that my left side is darker at all.

D3v1L80Y 01-27-2006 03:03 PM

I think you are just being confused by retinex theory. Essentially, that means that the color you see is relative to the amount of light and other hues that are surrounding it. That way, we see colors and light and hues that are not really there.

When I put that image fullscreen, I saw no difference. When I windowed it, and had my darker desktop image showing on the left, the white in the left half seems a shade darker. In reality, the colors and hues are exactly the same.

Example of retinex theory

DanielNTX 01-27-2006 06:11 PM

Mine's fine on both sides.

mynameis 01-27-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsenerd
I could be wrong...but I think this is an optical illusion because I find the same thing when viewing your sample with my Dell 20 Widescreen LCD...I'd imagine its the old optical processor in our cranium playing tricks on us again.

Looks fine on my Dell 2005FPW....

nfs2 01-27-2006 06:50 PM

Its supposed to be viewed at full screen. The image looks fine on my desktop.

Ok try this, when replying, is the white on the left of the reply box any whiter thent he white on the right? Again, make your browser full screen to test this.

Im just trying to see what the odds are that if i try to get this fixed, id just get it back the same. So far it seems that i will.

macAttack 01-27-2006 08:29 PM

looks fine to me

Roberto91 01-27-2006 09:36 PM

Its fine

D3v1L80Y 01-27-2006 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfs2
Im just trying to see what the odds are that if i try to get this fixed, id just get it back the same. So far it seems that i will.

I still say there is nothing to fix. Your eyes are deceiving you my friend.
Take a look at this attached example. It is all relative to surrounding color and light. I see nothing wrong with your screen, as others have stated.
There is nothing that will be or can be repaired in this situation.

nfs2 01-27-2006 09:51 PM

No, its definatly darker on the left. I mean if it were an optical illusion, it would have been the same on my other laptops and PC monitors.

Its just this iBook. I've had it looked at once and the tech didnt see anything wrong, but he doesnt have to sit in front of it typing for hours, so what does he know.

I made this same post on several different forums and it seems to be a common problem with 12'' iBooks. Im still 50/50 on weather or not i should get it fixed, or just get used to it

11213 01-29-2006 02:09 AM

on mine it works just fine

hardran3 02-11-2006 03:07 AM

I see that, sometimes

I notice this same thing when I have been using my iBook (Nov 2005 G4 12") for an extended time, and the fan has been running. I think it has something to do with the heat on the screen.