MacBook Keyboard Loose
    Hello there,
    I recently purchased a non-working white 13" MacBook (Model# A1181) off of eBay. I purchased everything I needed to repair it, including a new keyboard. The keyboard works properly and fits, but it does not stay in place. Whenever I open the laptop, the keyboard comes up because of the magnets in it and in the screen. Since some of the screws on the computer are missing, including the ones on the sides, bottom and inside the battery compartment, I assumed that was the problem. I just wanted to verify that's why the keyboard won't stay in place before I buy a full set of screws.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    What you purchased is called the "topcase" (keyboard, trackpad, speakers, power button, palm rest area). If you look around the edge of the topcase...you will see holes for screws.

The area below the trackpad contains a magnet that works in conjunction with the display lid to keep everything closed (when you want the display closed). Because the display lid & topcase are held together with magnetism...it is natural for the topcase to lift when the display lid is opened (since there are no screws...or not all the screws are in place) to keep the topcase from lifting.

So yes...you need the screws to keep the topcase from lifting up whenever you open the display.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thanks so much for your help

Unfortunately I can only buy a full set of screws while I only need the bottom case screws and the battery compartment screws… oh well I guess it's not a huge deal

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by JNK123 View Post
    Unfortunately I can only buy a full set of screws while I only need the bottom case screws and the battery compartment screws… oh well I guess it's not a huge deal
    Go to Amazon.com...and do a search for "MacBook Screws". I've done this...and there are various screw sets that folks sell that are partial sets (not full sets). Maybe the topcase screws you need are sold separately...and maybe you can save a few bucks.

- Nick

p.s. Don't do a search for "MacBook topcase screws". I did this and it didn't return anything useful
    p.p.s. You could also do the same search on e-Bay. If neither search turns up anything...maybe you will have to buy the whole screw set.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information