Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   over charging for battery is it safe? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/296978-over-charging-battery-safe.html)

wolves2102 03-23-2013 03:06 PM

over charging for battery is it safe?
 
hello i just wanna ask about my battery, its already full but i keep my power supply attached even if its already full charge is it safe to be that way?

pigoo3 03-23-2013 03:12 PM

Yes...this is exactly how I've operated my laptops for years. If you want more info...please read the "Battery" link in my signature.

- Nick

wolves2102 03-23-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1504662)
Yes...this is exactly how I've operated my laptops for years. If you want more info...please read the "Battery" link in my signature.

- Nick


i just bought my laptop macbook pro 13' and read some battery concern but i haven't find yet about over charging or continue plugging adapter while its already full, and continue working for more than one hour, so its safe for your battery for continued plugging for one hour after it was fully charge, because in cellphone case we cannot over charge it because it will damage the battery

pigoo3 03-23-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolves2102 (Post 1504769)
i just bought my laptop macbook pro 13' and read some battery concern but i haven't find yet about over charging or continue plugging adapter while its already full, and continue working for more than one hour, so its safe for your battery for continued plugging for one hour after it was fully charge, because in cellphone case we cannot over charge it because it will damage the battery

When the battery is fully charged...the light on the Mag-Safe plug turns from orange to green. When the light is green...no charging is occurring...thus no over-charging is possible.:)

- Nick

wolves2102 03-24-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1504780)
When the battery is fully charged...the light on the Mag-Safe plug turns from orange to green. When the light is green...no charging is occurring...thus no over-charging is possible.:)

- Nick

thanks yeah since its already green meaning full charge, are we still safe to continue plugging for another 1hr or more even if its already full charge?

pigoo3 03-24-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolves2102 (Post 1504790)
...are we still safe to continue plugging for another 1hr or more even if its already full charge?

Yes...that's what I've been saying throughout this thread!;) Not only is it ok to leave it plugged in for 1 hour...but also for 1 day, 1 week...or whatever duration you desire.

As I already mentioned...if the Mac-Safe light is green...then no charging is taking place...thus no over-charging can occur.

As I also mentioned...please read the link in my signature called "Battery". It will provide you with info on how to maintain your battery.:)

- Nick

wolfpuppies3 03-27-2013 10:38 AM

To restate what Pigoo3 already said, It is not possible to overcharge your MB, the computer will not allow that to happen.

My MB Pro remains, for years, plugged in five days per week sitting on my desk at work.

RadDave 04-04-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 (Post 1505755)
To restate what Pigoo3 already said, It is not possible to overcharge your MB, the computer will not allow that to happen.

My MB Pro remains, for years, plugged in five days per week sitting on my desk at work.

Hi Wolfpuppies3 - just curious if you follow Apple's recommendation, i.e. that once a month, the battery should be completely discharged and then recharged (same recommendation for the iPad - presumably helps to recalibrate proper battery monitoring).

I've had my MBP for nearly 2 weeks (have had 3 previous PC laptops so not new to battery knowledge) but just trying to find a 'happy ground' between leaving the 'magsafe power connector' constantly plug vs. partially discharging the battery (I've basically been doing both & will also perform the complete monthly discharge as I do on my iPad).

So, one last question - if the 'magsafe connector' is left on all of the time (except for an occasional complete discharge/recharge cycle), will the lack of accumulating 'cycles' on the battery prolong its life? Thanks all for your comments - Dave


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.