New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrade MBP w/data doubler or get the new MPA?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Abdeh

Abdeh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV

I have a 13" MBP with the following specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (Late 2011)
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade it, meaning I'd like to remove the optical drive and use an OWC data doubler and use a 128GB SSD. Keeping the 500GB HDD for storage and making the SSD for the OS' faster boot time and overall performance.

My second option is I get the new 13" MPA, with 128GB SSD (use it for basic storage), and just use an external HDD for my other data (movies... etc.)
QUOTE Thanks
josephmccutchen

josephmccutchen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdeh View Post
I have a 13" MBP with the following specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (Late 2011)
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade it, meaning I'd like to remove the optical drive and use an OWC data doubler and use a 128GB SSD. Keeping the 500GB HDD for storage and making the SSD for the OS' faster boot time and overall performance.

My second option is I get the new 13" MPA, with 128GB SSD (use it for basic storage), and just use an external HDD for my other data (movies... etc.)
Before I answer your question, I noticed that you answered an earlier question I had... thanks a lot!!! (My post here is not merely a return favor; I'm a technician, and try to help out where I can.)

If I were you, I'd upgrade your MBP as you described, as long as you think 128GB is enough for your SSD. Don't know your financial situation, but from that standpoint, I wouldn't spend more money than I had to, especially when you can upgrade the MBP more than the MBA.

Also, are you doing intensive work on your MBP (Photoshop, video, etc)? If so, you might even consider upgrading the RAM to 16GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Abdeh

Abdeh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV

You're welcome!

I considered upgrading, and I had actually written a reply where I said I guess I'll be upgrading. But then I thought about it and did some research, it'll cost me more to upgrade (to the specs I want) than to sell my MBP and buy the latest MPA. I got a good offer on the latest MPA for only $1,020. Then later I can just upgrade the SSD from 128GB, if I ever need to.
I don't do any intensive work anymore, not since I graduated from college, so I guess the MPA would be great.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook screen damage :( | 2gig to 4gig ram upgrade »