New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

upgrading late 2008 macbook pro ..help..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigbuddy123

bigbuddy123 is on a distinguished road

I have a late 2008 15 inch mac book pro (aluminum uni-body). First off I need to get a new battery, the one I have only last 2 hours at the most. I am in school for post production work, so I do a lot of video and photo editing on final cut and Photoshop. I like using the laptop because I can take it in the field with me as im working on a project be able to do some real time edits as im shooting, however the battery life is main issue, I have 8 gigs of RAM i installed so far, I don't know what I should upgrade next and what would be the smart thing to do, in terms of better hard drive, or graphics card if possible etc. I am a newbie to the upgrading part of a laptop, so any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate, I love my MBP I want to make it the best and fastest it can be to last as long as it can, I cant afford to buy a new one , im on a student budget. Thanks .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The only things that can be upgraded on your laptop are the ram and the storage (HD or SSD). Nothing else is upgradeable.

Of course get yourself a new battery if it needs it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bigbuddy123

bigbuddy123 is on a distinguished road

which is better long term wise, as well as cost wise, a higher capacity HD or SSD? is there any way to easily and affordable upgrade the processor or graphics card in the macbooks, im asking this cause Iv heard of people upgrading or changing out motherboards in them before to get a different processor, but is it worth it? also I notice the macbook gets real warm to the touch now, someone told me to reapply the thermal gel, and itll help it, but is this something that someone can easily do on their own?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

SSD will reduce your overall capacity, but get you a performance boost. A higher capacity HDD will just get you higher capacity with minimal performance boost depending on what you have right now..

If you are not using much space on your current HDD or you have an external drive for things, then keeping the OS and apps on the SSD means that they'll all load and run faster..

Replacing the logic boards is not a trivial thing, you need to a find the exact fit one and so on..it MIGHT be possible to find a logic board for a newer version (maybe one year newer or something) that is similar enough but can support a new/faster processor or has a faster graphics chip on it..

A lot of this depends on whether the logic board has the processor soldered on or is socketed. The GPU is usually soldered, so that can't be changed..

But this can get expensive quickly..

Based on your student budget..I'd start with the battery..look into getting a SSD as long as you have something to hold all of your large'ish video files and pictures so that you don't run out of space on your SSD and crash OS X..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuddy123 View Post
is there any way to easily and affordable upgrade the processor or graphics card in the macbooks, im asking this cause Iv heard of people upgrading or changing out motherboards in them before to get a different processor, but is it worth it?
cpu and graphics hardware are all soldering onto the logic board. No way to replace or upgrade them. Maybe some folks have done some logic board swapping...but it really is not cheap...and you have VERY few options (what logic boards will & won't fit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuddy123 View Post
also I notice the macbook gets real warm to the touch now, someone told me to reapply the thermal gel, and itll help it, but is this something that someone can easily do on their own?
All Apple laptops can exhibit this depending on what you are doing. It's also possible it could be dirty inside...so a cleaning/inspection may be worth a try.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air or MacBook Pro? | Macbook Pro and Philips TV HDMI error »