Leaving On-Sleep Mode
    Is it okay to leave my 15" PowerBook G4 on most of the time. I mean when I am not using it I close the lid and let it go in to sleep mode. Is that okay? Or should I shut it down.
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    that is fine.. my computer has not been turned off in the longest time.. infact i can'ty remember turning mine off since before me and my girlfriend were dating (so like 3 months ago or more was the last time my powerbook was turned off)
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

chrisb2999
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
    that is fine.. my computer has not been turned off in the longest time.. infact i can'ty remember turning mine off since before me and my girlfriend were dating (so like 3 months ago or more was the last time my powerbook was turned off)
    Yes I do the same thing with my ibook, never turn it off. But i just recently got a powerbook, how long do you think it would last in sleep mode with an almost full battery?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    to my knowlage the battery can last a very long time on full battery.. the powerbook can even last on sleep with no battery (for a short perioid of time.. so you can change batteries.. a function ibooks don't have) putting the computer to sleep uses very very little power since the only thing getting power is ram.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

A while back I did a quick test of how long the battery lasts while in sleep mode (on powerbook 12"). I gathered it would last about 7 days from full battery (this is from just extrapolating how much the battery decreased over a short period of time, so I am probably off target a bit).

I leave mine on all the time too, but I think it's still good to do a reboot now and then (normally i just wait for software updates that require a reboot and kill two birds with one stone)

So then I don't have to worry about it tearing up then. I have completely switched to Mac and love it. I just normally do my work, put the lid down, and when I need it again...I open the lid. I probably have not shut it down in about a week or so. Was just wanting to make sure I was not tearing it up or anything.
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Specs:
    MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
    I am going to test this tonight as I always close mine down - it looses 3 -5 percent battery overnight when completely turned off - I can see it being a lot more on this powerbook if left on :bandage:
    Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots

Specs:
    MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
    I was wrong, it actually didn't seem to loose much more off than in sleep mode. It is a 15inch power book with 768MB ram and lost 7 per cent in 23 hours - it went down from 95 per cent to 88 - so, judging by that, around two weeks would drain it which is -pretty good
    Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots

I leave mine on sleep mode the majority of the time. I ususally do a shut down every couple of weeks. Shouldn't have any problems. Other than the occasional shut down, I also shut down any time I'm traveling back to home in the car for a couple of hours, other than that, on my desk it is usually sleeping.
    Richard
    iPhone
    Powerbook 15
    Powerbook 17

Thread Information