New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Leaving On-Sleep Mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Is it okay to leave my 15" PowerBook G4 on most of the time. I mean when I am not using it I close the lid and let it go in to sleep mode. Is that okay? Or should I shut it down.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

that is fine.. my computer has not been turned off in the longest time.. infact i can'ty remember turning mine off since before me and my girlfriend were dating (so like 3 months ago or more was the last time my powerbook was turned off)

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
chrisb2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
that is fine.. my computer has not been turned off in the longest time.. infact i can'ty remember turning mine off since before me and my girlfriend were dating (so like 3 months ago or more was the last time my powerbook was turned off)
Yes I do the same thing with my ibook, never turn it off. But i just recently got a powerbook, how long do you think it would last in sleep mode with an almost full battery?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

to my knowlage the battery can last a very long time on full battery.. the powerbook can even last on sleep with no battery (for a short perioid of time.. so you can change batteries.. a function ibooks don't have) putting the computer to sleep uses very very little power since the only thing getting power is ram.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

A while back I did a quick test of how long the battery lasts while in sleep mode (on powerbook 12"). I gathered it would last about 7 days from full battery (this is from just extrapolating how much the battery decreased over a short period of time, so I am probably off target a bit).

I leave mine on all the time too, but I think it's still good to do a reboot now and then (normally i just wait for software updates that require a reboot and kill two birds with one stone)
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

So then I don't have to worry about it tearing up then. I have completely switched to Mac and love it. I just normally do my work, put the lid down, and when I need it again...I open the lid. I probably have not shut it down in about a week or so. Was just wanting to make sure I was not tearing it up or anything.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

I am going to test this tonight as I always close mine down - it looses 3 -5 percent battery overnight when completely turned off - I can see it being a lot more on this powerbook if left on :bandage:

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

I was wrong, it actually didn't seem to loose much more off than in sleep mode. It is a 15inch power book with 768MB ram and lost 7 per cent in 23 hours - it went down from 95 per cent to 88 - so, judging by that, around two weeks would drain it which is -pretty good

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
TOYOTA

TOYOTA will become famous soon enough

I leave mine on sleep mode the majority of the time. I ususally do a shut down every couple of weeks. Shouldn't have any problems. Other than the occasional shut down, I also shut down any time I'm traveling back to home in the car for a couple of hours, other than that, on my desk it is usually sleeping.

Richard
iPhone
Powerbook 15
Powerbook 17
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sound balance setting is erratic, it changes on its own | Powerbook Airport Reception »