Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MBP base screws

MBP base screws

MBP base screws
    I see that my 2011 MBP is missing two of the tiny screws that hold the base plate on. I can only assume they aren't glued in, so easily fall out. I'll glue them in when I get some more.

But the question is - how do I get these screws? I only need a couple, of the short ones.

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    But the question is - how do I get these screws? I only need a couple, of the short ones.
    Check with iFixit: The free repair manual and Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad. If they don't have the screws, look for them on eBay.

If you purchased Apple Care for your MBP, Apple will replace the screws.

MBP base screws

Thanks for that - I'll try.

I hadn't heard of Applecare when I bought the machine.

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
    I hadn't heard of Applecare when I bought the machine.
    All Apple computers come with 12 months of Applecare upon purchase. Extended Applecare can be purchased (within the first 12 months)...which will extend Applecare to 36 months (from time of purchase).

Applecare covers manufacturing defects only...not dead batteries (unless it is due to a manufacturing defect), not accidents, not liquid spills, etc. Sometimes Apple will cover things that we don't always expect...but this is on a case by case basis.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    Mac's
    I ... I'll glue them in when I get some more....
    Don't "glue" screws in.. whether it's on your Mac or on anything else.. Get some Locktitie for screws/threads.. Use the Blue kind, not the red.. especially on a computer..lol.

I can't imagine needing Locktite for the screws you speak of, but.. to each his own

MBP base screws

Well ... two HAVE fallen out!

As to Apple Care, I first heard of the available extension when my machine died at 14 months old - when it was no longer available. I have since checked the paperwork I received with the machine (bought from the Apple Store), and there was no mention of being able to extend the warranty.

MBP base screws

I thought you only got 3 months Apple care? I'm pretty sure I only got 3 months with the option to purchase 1 yr

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    3 months phone support - 1 yr warranty

with option to extend it for another year and have phone support for the duration

except in Australia who gets 2 years now
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

MBP base screws

Ahh, I see. Nice one.

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    As to Apple Care, I first heard of the available extension when my machine died at 14 months old - when it was no longer available.
    If you didn't think/know about the Extended Applecare until 14 months old...then Extended Applecare wouldn't be an option anyway...since the initial Applecare period expired after 12 months.

You've been a Mac-Forums member since May 16, 2011. We discuss Applecare quite a bit...thus I'm 100% positive this Applecare info was mentioned at least a handful of times (probably more) during the first 12 months of your MBP ownership. Sometimes it pays to read all threads.

I have since checked the paperwork I received with the machine (bought from the Apple Store), and there was no mention of being able to extend the warranty.
    Sometimes it's up to the user to do the research. There are a lot more things the paperwork probably doesn't mention as well. If the paperwork mentioned everything...just think how many pages that would be!

- Nick

p.s. Luckily missing these two screws is really not a super big deal. Thank goodness it's not something much more serious that effects the functioning of the computer! It's possible (even with Extended Applecare) that Apple may not have replaced the screws anyway.
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    Mac's
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple replaced them for free if you took it to the apple store. The y wouldn't be obligated nor expected to.. but I've seen them do things greater than this.

MBP base screws

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    I work for a service provider, and we replace missing base screws free of charge. I'd expect Apple to do the same. The only exception is when screws have been removed from inside the Mac. Base screws usually come with blue loctite substance on the threads.
    Steve
    UK

MBP base screws

Unfortunately I'm over 700 miles from the nearest Apple Store, but I'll certainly go in when I have a chance.

I'm more used to the UK way of doing things than the US, and in the UK it is the retail seller who is responsible for warranty issues. There is law which restricts a manufacturer's ability to foreshorten a warranty period to an arbitrary length, and instead both sides must consider what is "reasonable". In the UK I think I could probably have held out that 14 months total life before a major failure is NOT reasonable. And of course I would have been arguing with a retailer at their own premises, not a giant corporation based in another country.

This approach is probably why I didn't seek an extended warranty when I bought the machine, and given that one was never mentioned verbally or in print I never gave it a thought. I was certainly surprised when at 14 months I phoned Apple to ask for assistance and was told quite bluntly that as I hadn't bought the extended warranty I was on my own. Click! And all I was asking for was advice on what to do, where to go.

Incidentally, I see no sign of Loctite on any of the remaining screws.

MBP base screws
    Specs:
    Unfortunately I'm over 700 miles from the nearest Apple Store, but I'll certainly go in when I have a chance.
    Given this distance...you would probably be better off shopping e-Bay...and purchasing some screws. Lots of folks selling various sets of Apple laptop screws on e-Bay. Of course if these missing screws are no big deal...then you could just keep "chugging" along without them.

Incidentally, I see no sign of Loctite on any of the remaining screws.
    Every base screw I have removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro had the blue Loctite on them. If you don't see any blue Loctite on the remaining base screws...that would certainly sound like an "Apple Error" to me.

- Nick

MBP base screws

Steve Bell - I used to work in Aylesbury (lived in Oxford) and your name seems to ring a bell (sorry!). Do you work locally or just live there?

Thread Information