New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Unable to fix MacBook Pro after kernel panic


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
I have a MacBook Pro 15", late 2011, running OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

I am at the end of my tether after a kernel panic 10 days ago (child messed with keyboard, I know, I know...). I can follow instructions but am not a Mac expert and have now exhausted all suggestions garnered from the internet to fix problems - system crashes when I try to open apps such as iPhoto and iMovie; unexpected crashes (such as when trying to open a link from a web page and shut downs. After this a disk verification shows volume discrepancies.

Can anyone please help to restore my Mac to its formerly reliable state?


I have done:

* PRAM reset to get the trackpad into working order (it was going haywire)
* several disk repairs from my installation disk (volume discrepancies were mentioned most often)
* pulled iPhoto to Trash and reinstalled from apps disk
* downloaded the 10.6.8 update combo from Apple (today)
* repaired disk permissions (today).

After doing the last two this afternoon I tried to open iPhoto - CRASH....

System log from last 24 hours:

system log 24:2.doc
QUOTE Thanks
AliS

 
AliS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 09, 2010
Posts: 1
AliS is on a distinguished road

AliS is offline
Hi, "badshoehabit". Did you figure out? I had similar experience, and did total re-install on mine. It worked.
ALbin
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
No, I'm wary about taking that final step as I understand I will lose all the data and apps I've added since purchase. I do have back ups of everything but am not sure how to restore them.

Since posting I managed to open iPhoto in safe mode and it rebuilt the library - but daren't try it with an ordinary boot.
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliS View Post
Hi, "badshoehabit". Did you figure out? I had similar experience, and did total re-install on mine. It worked.
ALbin
Took the plunge and looked up how to do this and found a solution not quite so drastic - doing a complete restore from my back up hard drive - and it's worked!!

Thank you for giving me the courage.
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
Eventually had to go to Apple Store where I left it as they couldn't determine the fault. Had phonecall saying ram faulty then another saying not ram but logic board. Replacement is 300+. See a class action has been filed in Texas alleging logic boards not fit for purpose.
Anyone else had experience of this issue. My mac is 18 mths old.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,329
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
I am at the end of my tether after a kernel panic 10 days ago (child messed with keyboard, I know, I know...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
Eventually had to go to Apple Store where I left it as they couldn't determine the fault. Had phonecall saying ram faulty then another saying not ram but logic board. Replacement is 300+.
I hate to say it...but I really am not seeing the connection. A child messing with a keyboard does not equal a logic board replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
See a class action has been filed in Texas alleging logic boards not fit for purpose.
Ok...how many millions & millions of MacBook Pro's have been sold throughout the world (with the vast majority of these consumers 100% satisfied with their purchase)...and you're going to "latch-on" to the idea that 1 person in Texas filing a lawsuit is somehow the key to your MacBook Pro's problem (what happened to a child messing with the keyboard theory)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
Anyone else had experience of this issue. My mac is barely 48mths old.
"My Mac is barely 48 months old."

This is usually something someone would say if they just purchased a computer 30-60 days...or maybe 6 months ago. 48 months = 4 years. 4 years is NOT a short time. In fact 4 years is actually a pretty long time in the "computer world". I'm not saying that your MacBook Pro should stop working after 4 years...but let's be real. 4 years is NOT like something was just purchased yesterday.

The actual useful life of a computer these days (because of technological advances) is probably in the neighborhood of 4-6 years (sometimes more...sometimes less). Doesn't mean that it cannot continue to be used longer...but after 4-6 years...it will start to show it's age by not doing things as well as it used to (due to technological advances in the outside world).

My main points are:

1. There's no way a child messing with a keyboard results in the need for a new logic board.

2. Please don't make it sound like a 4 year-old computer is somehow "young"...as if it was just taken out of the box yesterday. 4 years is a pretty long time in the computer world.

One of the things that can damage a computer very quickly is heat. If your MacBook Pro has never been cleaned...and depending on the environmental conditions where it is used...it could be VERY dirty inside. This dirt/fuzz can reduce cooling airflow...less cooling air means higher temps...and higher temps can lead to computer failure.

I'm not saying 100% this is the problem. But this is something that can slowly manifest itself over 4 years.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,329
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
By the way I'm also very confused about something. In post #1 you say that you have a Late 2011 MacBook Pro...but then in post #5 you say that your computer is 48 months old.

Am I missing something?? Late 2011 does not equal 48 months. Are we talking about the same computer??

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
Typing error. Mac bought July 2011, it is 18 mths old.

No need to sneer and be so unpleasant. I come here for help, not sarcasm.

How am I supposed to know if the problem with the logic board is from the accident two weeks ago (waiting to talk to engineer.)? All I know is that the issues started after that though iphoto has been slow for a while.

FYI a class action is proceedings taken by a group of people (as in the film Erin Brockovich), not a single person. Google it to see the allegations.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,329
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
Typing error. Mac bought July 2011, it is 18 mths old.
BIG typing error!!! If you want help...it helps to be accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
No need to sneer and be so unpleasant. I come here for help, not sarcasm.
A great place to start is with accurate information. If you had typed 18 months instead of 48 months above...much of what I wrote above would not have been written. You could also proofread what you write BEFORE you post...to insure accurate information (accurate information is very important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
How am I supposed to know if the problem with the logic board is from the accident two weeks ago (waiting to talk to engineer.)? All I know is that the issues started after that though iphoto has been slow for a while.
No...what you said above was that the problems started with a child messing with a keyboard. I also do not remember reading anything about an "accident". And what I said was that it is impossible for a child to mess with a keyboard...and that lead to the need for a new logic board.

Your observations/assumptions are faulty...which leads to incorrect conclusions...which leads to difficulty in helping you solve the problem!!!

Example: A bruised piece of fruit laying on the ground does not automatically mean that that particular piece of fruit fell from the tree above it...or that the bruising was caused by the fruit impacting the ground.

As I said. Incorrect observations/assumptions...leads to incorrect conclusions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
FYI a class action is proceedings taken by a group of people (as in the film Erin Brockovich), not a single person. Google it to see the allegations.
My point was...some greedy whiney cry-baby people filing a lawsuit does not equal a genuine problem with a logic board in a computer.

Thus...you should not automatically assume that because a lawsuit was filed...that this automatically means that your computers problem is related to their problem (did all of these folks problems stem from a "child messing with a keyboard"??)...I think not!!!

And it should not be assumed that these people are even correct. Like I mentioned...what about the millions of people who do not have a problem. If this problem was so widespread & Apple's fault...Apple would have had a replacement program for it. Apple has done this a number of times before.

Good luck solving your problem. I help folks for free...but I do not help folks who do not appreciate it...or just want to argue!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
Apple Store say cannot explain failure, that it could be any one of a number of components on the logic board. Appears toddler's messing (the 'accident') was a coincidence. Offering to not charge for labour as a goodwill gesture because of age of computer.

Very disappointed this has happened on such an expensive computer. Three previous windows pcs never had a repair between them over 15 years.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,329
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
Apple Store say cannot explain failure, that it could be any one of a number of components on the logic board. Appears toddler's messing (the 'accident') was a coincidence. Offering to not charge for labour as a goodwill gesture because of age of computer.

Very disappointed this has happened on such an expensive computer. Three previous windows pcs never had a repair between them over 15 years.
Ok...I'll jump back in...since I do like helping folks figure out their computing problems...and I know how frustrating it can be sometimes!

You did mention your toddler messing with the keyboard...and your initial conclusion was this could have caused the problem. While I did say that this really would not lead to a logic board replacement...it is always possible that liquid could have been spilled on the computer.

Liquid spilt on laptops is probably one of the #1 ways to "kill" a laptop...and a new logic board is usually the #1 part that needs to be replaced. So my question is...is there a possibility your toddler may have spilt some liquid on your MacBook Pro?...even a small amount can be a "laptop killer"!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
badshoehabit

 
badshoehabit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2011
Location: Tyneside, UK
Posts: 101
badshoehabit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro MC721: 500GB 15.4" 16GB Core i7 OS Mavericks 10.9.2 iPhone 4s 16gb

badshoehabit is offline
Definitely no liquid - not even tears!! I was honest in the store and said what happened but they have never referred to it as a possible cause of the problem.

I am going to get a quote from an independent and see how that compares as there is only a 90-day warranty on a new logic board from apple. They also offer a new comparable laptop with 20% off including free extended apple care but that is 1249 and I can't pay out this amount again after such a short time.

There is a long, long thread on the Apple communities forum (apple website) about logic board problems which is where I found the info about the class action.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,329
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
Definitely no liquid - not even tears!! I was honest in the store and said what happened but they have never referred to it as a possible cause of the problem.
Ok...spilt liquid is probably not the problem...but liquid spills on a computer this new is one of the most likely sources for this problem (besides abuse...like dropping the computer). A computer this new usually does not have logic board issues.

And if it does...it's usually still covered under Applecare. What I mean by this is...if there's a logic board issue...it usually shows up fairly quickly after purchase...and then replaced for free via Applecare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
There is a long, long thread on the Apple communities forum (apple website) about logic board problems which is where I found the info about the class action.
Very possible. But we get a lot of folks posting problems here on Mac-Forums...and if there was a BIG BIG problem like you're experiencing...we would know about it. So I seriously doubt (as of this date)...that the problem is some sort of manufacturing/design defect by Apple. Which is what it would need to be to be Apple's fault.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Resetting Macbook Pro | does apple give a student discount on the retina macbook pro ? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
2012 Macbook Pro Kernel Panic jsmith823 Apple Notebooks 7 06-19-2012 08:47 PM
Anyone smart enought to understand console messages for my crashing MBP? harrypinkie Apple Notebooks 6 11-21-2011 06:17 PM
High CPU Usage farshadavocate OS X - Operating System 20 11-04-2011 01:07 PM
Lion - Time Machine disconnects after 5 min enrita OS X - Operating System 5 09-23-2011 11:57 AM
time machine error - never stops to prepare or stopping back-up alonewithmymac OS X - Apps and Games 3 12-26-2008 07:56 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?