New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - PB Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmachine

dmachine is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM

I have been having some issues with my PB recently. Some times when I wake it up I wont be able to use my USB mouse or keyboard, I have to restart it in order for it to work. This has happened several times over the past week. It happened today and when I turned on my PowerBook it said that my date was set to a date prior to 2001, and it told me to set it manually. When I checked the date it was correct.

I have repaired permissons thinking this was a problem, I also downloaded and ran System Optimizer X. Is there anything else I can do? The only recent changes that I have made to the PB is that I installed iLife '06 and added a 1GB stick of Kingston RAM, both of the 1GB sticks in my PB are Kingston.

Aluminum MacBook 2.4ghz 4GB RAM,Black iPod Nano 8GB,Black 30GB iPod, 16GB Black 3G iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmachine
I have been having some issues with my PB recently. Some times when I wake it up I wont be able to use my USB mouse or keyboard, I have to restart it in order for it to work. This has happened several times over the past week. It happened today and when I turned on my PowerBook it said that my date was set to a date prior to 2001, and it told me to set it manually. When I checked the date it was correct.

I have repaired permissons thinking this was a problem, I also downloaded and ran System Optimizer X. Is there anything else I can do? The only recent changes that I have made to the PB is that I installed iLife '06 and added a 1GB stick of Kingston RAM, both of the 1GB sticks in my PB are Kingston.
time/Date issues are often symptoms of PRAM or PRAM battery problems. Maybe reset the PRAM and see if that fixes things. I have to say though that PRAM doesn't usually affect the USB ports.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

A lot of Powerbooks have had issues with the second RAM slot causing issues...
Maybe that has something to do with it?

I'd check around for some info on the issue (ppl are suing over it - no official fix as of yet).
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

This has just happened to me as well. It's happened several times over the last few days.
About a week ago I started using a Logitech MX400 Laser mouse, but I haven't had any issues with it...so I don't think that would be the problem.

How do you reset the PRAM? What is the PRAM battery?
Could this be due to the second RAM slot issues known to affect my Powerbook model? I've had my second stick of RAM (Kingston 512MB) installed for over a year with no problems.

I've since locked the Date & Time "to prevent further changes" and restarted my computer. When I booted up again, it didn't give me the error message.

Is there something wrong with my Powerbook?
QUOTE Thanks
misskool

misskool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM

This is the Powerbook Memory Slot Extension Repair programme.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

Thanks for the link.

I'll bring my PowerBook into my local Genius Bar and have the Mac people look at it.

Any idea how long the repairs would take?
QUOTE Thanks
misskool

misskool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM

It depends on your store. If you need it quicker, you could try an Apple Certified Service Provider who may be able to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Thank you.
I haven't had time to get to my local Apple Store yet, so I'll look into the Apple Service Providers before I decide where to bring my computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will the MB Pro get the Core 2 Duo Centrino? | printer setup help »