New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

leaving ibook plugged

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrianaz11

Hi,

If leave by ibook plugged into the power outlet for extended periods of time will I lose battery life.
I normally place in my bag for college each day, use about 2 hr of battery life and charge it at home. But at weekend, i leave it in the power supply all day, while using it..

And recently I bought a dock for my Ipod, by leaving it on the dock will I lose battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

I to have often wondered this,

As a precaution i do try and run my battery on my iBook down until it is in the red at least (i try and leave it until it gives me a "you are running on reserve battery power" warning most of the time).

But i find that when performing processor-intensive tasks like using Photoshop for example, I do leave my iBook plugged in as it improves performance (check out your energy saver settings)

As for the iPod, i have been wondering the exact same thing! I too have a dock for my 20GB ipod with Colour Screen but dont dare leave it plugged in all the time as i feel this may cause the battery to fail quicker than it would if i were to charge it, listen to it until it runs down and then charge it again.

Can anyone else shed some more light on this?

Regards,

Chris. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
nfs2

Not using your battery will make it hold less of a charge over time. This applies to both your iBook and iPod battery.

The mystery is exactly how much you have to use it to prevent this... I use both every day
QUOTE Thanks
munch

munch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD

I charge it up and use it til' it goes all the way down. i'm constantly on the go with it, and i don't want to carry all of the cords with me. I'm so glad it holds a good charge.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin5117

Justin5117 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro

Hmm..I keep mine plugged in almost 24 hours a day...

Unibody 2.4GHz MacBook Pro - 4GB RAM - WD 320GB 7200 RPM HDD | 120GB Black iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Re-Formatted hard Drive, installed iLife but iDVD is nowhere to be found? | trash Xcode installer packages? »