New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - hooking a 12" PB to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikesnail

I have scoured the internet looking for a DVI to SCART adapter so i can connect my 12" powerbook to my television. However, as much as i try i still cannot find one.
Does anyone know where i might be able to find such an adapter? Or how else it could be done?
Thanks
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

you can get a mini-DVI to video adapter from the apple website, they don't do one directly to scart, but im thinking you could then get a composite video to scart adapter too. This is the blurb from the apple website (i dont know how to link from the apple store, the links never work):

"The Apple Video Adapter for iBook, PowerBook G4 (12”), eMac (with AirPort Extreme), or 17-inch iMac (1GHz) was specially designed to allow users to connect to S-video or composite video devices. The video adapter cable plugs into the Video Output port (mini-VGA) built into the back of the computers listed. The Video Output port supports VGA, S-Video, and Composite video out. Use the Apple Video Adapter cable for S-Video or Composite video output only (connect to your TV, VCR, or overhead projector’s S-Video or RCA (composite) cable). Use a separate VGA Adapter for VGA video out."

However, most modern tvs, or dvd players have composite video inputs, so maybe you dont need scart after all?
QUOTE Thanks
mikesnail

Ah thanks, the iTV cable would be perfect, but 30 pounds plus 5 pounds postage is extortionate! I cant believe how expensive that is, as much as i want one i am not sure its worth paying that much money for. Is there something special about these cables which warrents the price? ... other than the apple logo that is
QUOTE Thanks
Guitarist

Guitarist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.67 ghz Powerbook 15.2 inch screen 1 gig ram

Go to CompUSA they have adapters there and at the Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

The iTV cable isn't actually made by apple, it doesn't have the apple logo on. It's made by a company called Monster, they do high quality audio-visual cables for various things, they are always pretty expensive.

Apple do have thier own video adapter on thier site aswell as the monster iTV one, it's not as complete as the monster cable though, you'd need to buy a seperate audio cable and you also need a cheap s-video to s-video cable too (unless it comes with it), i think it would still work out to be about £30-35 if you did that.

I don't think you will be able to find a much cheaper solution, unless anyone else as any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tripped over power chord | Re-Formatted hard Drive, installed iLife but iDVD is nowhere to be found? »