New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Random Restarts?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Beta1

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Beta1 is an unknown at this point

Beta1 is offline
Hi,

So I just bought a nearly unused 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2010: Dual 2.8Ghz Core i7, 8GB of RAM, HR-Antiglare display).

I absolutely love this thing, but after a few hours of casual use I experienced a "random restart". Basically it looked like a kernel panic only instead of asking to "hold down the power button" it restarted on its own, and after rebooting gave me a message about an "unexpected restart".

I know this could be a plethora of different things, but any ideas on what might be the cause? Thanks in advance.

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,890
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Since you just bought it, I would just wipe the drive and reinstall OS X clean from scratch. There is simply no telling what the prior owner did with it, installed on it, and so on. Troubleshooting this just isn't worth the effort, especially since it "could" be hardware-related. If it continues after a clean install of OS X, then that would confirm it's a hardware problem.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

 
harryb2448's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2007
Location: Nambucca Heads Australia
Posts: 17,162
harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

harryb2448 is offline
If it is the i7 that model came with Snow Leopard OS X.6.3. Got the system install discs? If so do as louishen advises. And run Repair Disk before doing the install. And 'barely used' computers are like motor vehicles only driven by a sweet little old lady.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Beta1 is an unknown at this point

Beta1 is offline
It was a fresh install of OSX from a reputable seller on eBay so I'm not worried about that.

As for being "barley used", this thing only had 15 battery cycles on it so I know it wasn't used (which I thought was strange for a computer worth almost $3000 when it was new).

I'm a geek and I would really love to keep this thing given the amazing condition, but I guess I should just return it and chalk it up as "too good too be true".

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

 
harryb2448's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 28, 2007
Location: Nambucca Heads Australia
Posts: 17,162
harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

harryb2448 is offline
Well unless the system discs were included in the sale sounds like this reputable seller has done an illegal install.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,853
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
As for being "barley used", this thing only had 15 battery cycles on it so I know it wasn't used (which I thought was strange for a computer worth almost $3000 when it was new).
That's not a dependable indication of usage. I sold a 2008 MacBook just last year that had only 22 battery charge - recharge cycles on it, but I can guaranty that it was used extensively. I used that MacBook at home hooked to a large monitor and primarily on AC most of the time.
QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Beta1 is an unknown at this point

Beta1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well unless the system discs were included in the sale sounds like this reputable seller has done an illegal install.
Probably, although assuming he is just using the same disc for a bunch of machines its not really relevant to my problem in this situation. I meant reputable as in he doesn't have a history of selling machines with hardware issues and/or problems out of the box. Whether it was a completely "legal" install, I doubt that is what is causing a random restart.

Also I know this forum can be uptight about piracy, but its also possible he has one of these: Apple - Mac - Apple Software Volume Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That's not a dependable indication of usage. I sold a 2008 MacBook just last year that had only 22 battery charge - recharge cycles on it, but I can guaranty that it was used extensively. I used that MacBook at home hooked to a large monitor and primarily on AC most of the time.
True thats possible, but after taking off the back panel there wasn't a spec of dust in there so I really think it was rarely used. Either way though, lightly used or not, I'm mostly just wondering if anyone has had random restart problems with 10.8 and DualCore i7 machines from 2010 or if this is unique to my machine?

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,853
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Either way though, lightly used or not, I'm mostly just wondering if anyone has had random restart problems with 10.8 and DualCore i7 machines from 2010 or if this is unique to my machine?
We've had numerous posts about random restarts both on MacBook Pro and iMac machines. I can't remember off hand if any of them involved the Dual Core i7 CPU.

I do know that random restarts can be difficult to track down and isolate. Usually some kind of hardware problem is involved. Apple's resolution for that kind of problem if it's continuous and unresolvable is to swap out the logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

 
Lifeisabeach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,890
Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Lifeisabeach is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta1 View Post
Probably, although assuming he is just using the same disc for a bunch of machines its not really relevant to my problem in this situation. I meant reputable as in he doesn't have a history of selling machines with hardware issues and/or problems out of the box. Whether it was a completely "legal" install, I doubt that is what is causing a random restart.

Also I know this forum can be uptight about piracy, but its also possible he has one of these: Apple - Mac - Apple Software Volume Licensing
I very seriously doubt the volume license applies to resales of used Macs. Regardless, the advice isn't really going to change. Until you do a clean reinstall of OS X (preferably the version it shipped with since your Mac may be "buggier" with Mountain Lion at this stage), you won't know if it's hardware or software. Even if it's hardware, the only thing that can really be done is check the RAM. If it's 3rd party replacement RAM, that could be the problem. It's also the only hardware problem you are even capable of addressing on your own by replacing it.


Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Beta1

 
Member Since: Jul 10, 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 98
Beta1 is an unknown at this point

Beta1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
We've had numerous posts about random restarts both on MacBook Pro and iMac machines. I can't remember off hand if any of them involved the Dual Core i7 CPU.

I do know that random restarts can be difficult to track down and isolate. Usually some kind of hardware problem is involved. Apple's resolution for that kind of problem if it's continuous and unresolvable is to swap out the logic board.
Yeah that was sort of my fear, no more AppleCare makes that a costly replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I very seriously doubt the volume license applies to resales of used Macs. Regardless, the advice isn't really going to change. Until you do a clean reinstall of OS X (preferably the version it shipped with since your Mac may be "buggier" with Mountain Lion at this stage), you won't know if it's hardware or software. Even if it's hardware, the only thing that can really be done is check the RAM. If it's 3rd party replacement RAM, that could be the problem. It's also the only hardware problem you are even capable of addressing on your own by replacing it.
Yes I agree, but since someone was questioning the sellers legitimacy I figured I'd bring up that its not impossible it was a legal install (not that it matters).

And yeah I ran memtest in single user mode, and checked for disk errors in single user mode, but both came back OK. For whatever reason I can't get Apple Hardware Test to run so I guess I will go to the Apple Store and have them check it out for me this weekend.

As mentioned before, I was mostly just wondering if this is a common problem with these models of MBP and 10.8.

-PowerMac G5- 1.8Ghz G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 1TB HD (2x 500GB), GeForce FX 5200, Super Drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Macbook screen has yellow tinge | Cracked MacBook Pro casing (glowing apple), and white line on screen »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iMac 27" quad i5 Random restarts MikesMacs Apple Desktops 10 11-09-2010 11:26 PM
Random Restarts Netty4mac Apple Notebooks 61 02-09-2008 09:02 AM
Random restarts with Leopard Chrisman Switcher Hangout 0 11-21-2007 10:20 AM
Kernel Panics and Random Restarts on a new Macbook mellyrose OS X - Operating System 9 07-06-2007 02:34 PM
Powerbook 667mhz random restarts oragano Apple Notebooks 3 12-20-2005 12:11 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?