New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Beta Version?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
blokie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I'm in the process of buying my first apple laptop for school, my first apple computer regardless. And I'm interested in buying the new macbook pro (regardless of what ppl's opinions are on the new macbook name) but I don't want to buy a beta version and then in a couple months after its been released that they improve it and potentially come out with the "REAL" macbook pro. My reason for concern is I've come across lots of forums, alot more negative and less informative than this forum, suggesting that the new macbook pro is basically a beta version out for consumer trial.

So my real question is whether to buy the powerbook 15" or the macbook pro, nothing to do with "what's inside," based on apple's potential to come out with a more refined version of it in a couple months and therefore leaving me to buy the powerbook (no disappointment either way).

Thanks ppl.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

 
PowerBookG4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,190
PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

PowerBookG4 is offline
If you have the time I would say wait for the next realease of macbook pro, or if you have the money, buy a used 12 inch ibook to hold you over until the time comes when the powerbook is realeased, I personally would not buy an old technology, (even though its still new but we know its not going anywhere) when the newer computers are right next to it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

 
Discerptor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 02, 2005
Posts: 1,229
Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Discerptor is offline
I agree with PowerBookG4 on the waiting thing. Presumably your semester starts around late August, so I would wait until the very last possible moment to get the laptop. That's what I did with my PowerBook G4 (January 2005 revision) to make sure I'd be getting the best possible version before heading off to school. If you want to get it early because you're worried about learnng the OS, I'd recommend finding the nearest Apple Store and playing with those computers as much as possible. Of course, if you still have questions left after that, we're here.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2004
Posts: 3,378
mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

mynameis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blokie
I've come across lots of forums, alot more negative and less informative than this forum, suggesting that the new macbook pro is basically a beta version out for consumer trial.

I would wait till they are actually out and people have used them before you start listening to what people on forums are saying. I don't understand why everybody things they are going to have problems. Intel has been doing mobile chips/chipsets for awhile now and OS X has been running on x86 since version 10.0.
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
I would wait till they are actually out and people have used them before you start listening to what people on forums are saying. I don't understand why everybody things they are going to have problems. Intel has been doing mobile chips/chipsets for awhile now and OS X has been running on x86 since version 10.0.
Apple has a history of introducing a new product, even one that allegedly "passed its beta stage tests with flying colors," and then the first buyers are the unlucky ones to find out that the product has SERIOUS design or programming flaws. The iPod battery debacles, the iBook G4 logic board scares, and the first release of OS X 10.0 come to mind as examples.

There's no way to predict whether or not this will happen with the MacBook. It's totally possible that the MacBook will roll off the presses as an outstanding, durable, problem-free product. But it's also possible that it will be a big fat waste of $2000 that will promptly be replaced in a few months with a far superior MacBook that retails for the same price.

To the original poster, I'd say to wait until the MacBooks have been out for at least a month and see how things are looking then. But if you need a computer now, buy now--some people are knocking the G4's as "old technology," but the truth is that not every Apple user out there needs the power and sophistication of a MacBook, just like not every PC user needs a 4.0 Ghz machine with 2 GB of RAM. The current Powerbook G4 is making a lot of users perfectly happy and has plenty of juice for the price, and if you decide to get rid of it in a few months, you can probably do so for a minimal financial loss.
QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

 
timswim78's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 04, 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD (USA)
Posts: 204
timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

timswim78 is offline
It may be a good idea to wait until school starts for the reasons mentioned by other posters and because you can most likely get a discount from the university's bookstore.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by timswim78
It may be a good idea to wait until school starts for the reasons mentioned by other posters and because you can most likely get a discount from the university's bookstore.

i just went with a family friend to the apple store because he wanted to buy an imac. He wanted the 17" G5, they were out, he then shelled out the extra 350 for the 20" G5 becuase he wanted anything BUT the intel.

I would totally hold off on the macbook pro. first of all, as you yourself are worried about, it could potentially have hardware glitches. and second, not all hardware companies have intel versions out yet, i wouldnt want to rely on rosetta
QUOTE Thanks
blokie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

wow, thanks for the replies and to reassure myself that I was potentially going to make the right choice and wait. I guess for now, like one poster mentioned, I will purchase a 12" ibook or powerbook until after the summer when my next semester starts and then potentially buy one.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Formatting my iBook's HDD - Question Before I do it.. | Powerbook G4 vs. ibook G4? Which should I buy? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
micrsoft office test drive and proper version sik OS X - Apps and Games 6 12-04-2007 12:39 AM
ichatav beta 2.1 stevewaugh Other Hardware and Peripherals 0 02-06-2004 02:45 PM
Japanese (or other language) version OS X mancao OS X - Operating System 0 05-27-2003 08:42 PM
Apple Updated X11 Beta schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-17-2003 05:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?