Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bluesky
    Ram upgrade for MacBook Pro?
    I have ordered my mac book pro but there is no change im going to pay the apple prices for the ram.

Anyone know where i can find the best ram for it? i had a look on ebay and the 533 mhz DDR2 is very very cheap however i cant seem to find any 567 mhz?

I assume i cant just use the 533?

Specs:
    Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
    are any of these rams any good? Is there a difference between the brands? Is there an aftermarket ram that is good? or should you stick with the "good" brands

jn4jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by LastZion
    are any of these rams any good? Is there a difference between the brands? Is there an aftermarket ram that is good? or should you stick with the "good" brands
    There are many fascinating threads on this matter already. Use the "search" function in the forums.

DFutrell62
    As a soon-to-be switcher, I have a related question. I have a 1.83 MB Pro on order and it has 512MB RAM. I was hoping to purchase a 1GB SODIMM to add to the empty slot for a total of 1.5GB of memory.

I've been searching here and elsewhere and have found conflicting information about whether this will work (i.e., mixing two different sizes of memory).

So what's the story on the MacBook Pro? Will I end up with 1.5GB of usable memory or will I have to remove the 512MB to make the 1GB SODIMM work?

Thanks!

Specs:
    Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
    I hope it works... My MBP is arriving on Tuesday and my RAM (1gig from Dealram) is arriving on Monday/Tuesday too... I will let you know then.

From what I have read it will work, but you would get bettter performance from 2 of the same ram? i.e 2 x 512 will work almost as good as 1 x 512 and 1 x gig. I hope that is not the case as I am of the latter group and I would expecdt 1.5 gigs regardless of config to be better thatn 1 gig.... But time will tell I guess, check back next week and I will let you know.

Anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW I am super pumped about my Macbook finally shipping, ordered Feb 11th.

DFutrell62
    I have the answer...not trouble at all to add 1 GB to a 512 machine. I ordered a 1 GB strip from Crucial... it arrived the day after my MacBook Pro. It took a total of 5 minutes to install, and the system recognized all of the memory (total 1.5GB) immediately.

I can't really report on the improvement as I had just started using the machine before I added the extra RAM. I can tell you that it is very, very fast. Even the Office software (through Rosetta) works just fine.

Specs:
    thats good news.
    my gig should come tomorrow.

do you use illustrator or photoshop?
    I would like to know how those work with the 1.5 gig ram.

This comp is SO slow now... I think I just demand too much from it

DFutrell62
    I'm not using either of those programs...just the iLife stuff and MS Office plus about a gazillion widgets I downloaded today.

For Illustrator and Photoshop, the RAM should make a major difference. Let us know!

I'm about to purchase a 1GB stick of apple ram for the macbook, it's $300, but this is a new machine, and there have been rare casees where ram has messed up hardware (and I have applecare, and I don't want to take ANY risks in voiding the warranty, so I don't mind paying the extra cash for apple brand). I have a widget that monitors the ram usage and such and when the ram isn't full this comp is lightning fast, but when ram is full it's slow as a slug...I can't wait for my 1gb stick...not enough ram can slow down a computer tremendously...

Regards,

Smeshy
    15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
    1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
    IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini

Specs:
    If you go to powerlinememory.com and select factory original it is only $129US for 1gig.

HOpefully you haven't bought yours yet.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by DFutrell62
    I'm not using either of those programs...just the iLife stuff and MS Office plus about a gazillion widgets I downloaded today.

For Illustrator and Photoshop, the RAM should make a major difference. Let us know!
    Ok, the ram finally came and now my baby is running smooth. Everything is nice and snappy. Entourage and Illustrator are a little LITTLE bit more sluggish than my 1.5GHZ Powerbook, but that is to be expected and I am totally fine with it.

Everything is perfect in my world now .

Specs:
    MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
    Ok, the ram finally came and now my baby is running smooth. Everything is nice and snappy. Entourage and Illustrator are a little LITTLE bit more sluggish than my 1.5GHZ Powerbook, but that is to be expected and I am totally fine with it.

Everything is perfect in my world now .
    That is good to know. I am buying a 1GB stick of RAM from OWC (a little more expensive, but they have great customer service/return policy--you get the new replacement stick before sending the old one back if you have a problem) so it's good to know there's a noticeable improvement in performance.

If you go to powerlinememory.com and select factory original it is only $129US for 1gig.

HOpefully you haven't bought yours yet.
    THAT IS AMAZING!!! Thank you soo much! Looks like I'll be buying the 2GB! Any idea how easy it is to install the other stick of ram? Replacing the 512mb that comes with the computer? Is it any harder then putting it into the extra slot?

THanks!

Smesh
    15.4" Macbook Pro 1.83Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD Mac OS x 10.4.4
    1.8Ghz P4 1024mb RAM 2x80GB, 1x160GB, 1x250GB HD's Windows XP and SuSe Linux 9
    IPOD 6gb Lime Green Mini

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by smeshy123
    THAT IS AMAZING!!! Thank you soo much! Looks like I'll be buying the 2GB! Any idea how easy it is to install the other stick of ram? Replacing the 512mb that comes with the computer? Is it any harder then putting it into the extra slot?

THanks!

Smesh
    No man, its super easy, as long as you have the right size screw driver. Just push up those slots and take the battery away, remove those 3 screws and its right there.

Enjoy, glad I could help

Thread Information