New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air USB Issues?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gewaltspirale

gewaltspirale is on a distinguished road

Hello there

Short version: My first-gen MacBook Air seems to have hardware USB issues and I'm wondering whether there's anything I can do to debug/fix this.

Ok then, here's the long version: Ever since I got my MacBook Air I've been highly unimpressed by its performance and only rarely ever used it. A few weeks ago I decided it was once again time to do some regular software maintenance but came to realize that I wasn't able to get a stable network connection with the built-in wifi. When I tried using the USB ethernet adapter I had similar issues there, i.e. frequent disconnects and very poor performance when it actually worked.

Since those issues made it impossible for me to update OSX I decided to blame it on the OS (which was the obvious choice at the time) and install Debian instead. Now, on a positive note for the first time since I got the laptop it actually performs the way it would expect it from a Core2 Duo with an SSD. Unfortunately that didn't solve my networking issues though: the wifi and the USB ethernet adapter still disconnect frequently and the throughput is still very poor.

I therefore decided to try some USB wifi adapters. The first one I tried (based on a realtek chipset) worked even worse, the second one (using an Atheros chip) works flawlessly.

Now, that made me think. Since the internal wifi is also connected via USB, could there be some kind of problem with my USB chip? The thing is, seeing how the Atheros chip works just fine and I was able to install my operating system from the USB SuperDrive it's obviously not completely broken, but what other explanation could there be for these symptoms? If it is a USB problem, is there anything I can do about it? For now the laptop works perfectly fine with the Atheros dongle but if possible I'd rather use the built-in wifi.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

From everything you've written I'd more suspect it's your router.

Do you have an alternative you could borrow/try?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for best performance | 15 inch retina dispay »