New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan from pa

i spilled a can of coke on my mac. (dumb move i know) and luckily there's no internal damage, but the keys on the one side are extremely sticky and hard to push down. Any suggestions on how to clean this?

thanks,
dan
QUOTE Thanks
Corrosive

Corrosive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina

you can get a new replacement keyboard, but I suggest alcohol.
QUOTE Thanks
dan from pa

yeah. so. i cleaned it with alcohol and the keys worked great. Except now I turn it on, and it goes through the usual screens but when the gray apple on the white screen shows up, it switches to black with text that looks like a bunch of error messages. Any ideas on what this is?
Thanks,
dan
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

that is a kernel panic. I would suggest running your hardware test CD. Either that or you can try to use your Install/Restore CD to do an Archive and Install of the OS again.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

why is cleaing a keyboard with alcohol safe?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Corrosive

Corrosive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina

It evaporates fast...
QUOTE Thanks
radarbob

IMHO you could immerse the whole keyboard in water and let it soak - as long as it not receiving power / attached to the computer. I'd try to get as pure / PH balanced quality H2O as possible. I.E. if your tap water has hi mineral content (like ours), don't use that. Let it soak - an hour? a day?

You might try taking the keys off where goop seems to be accumulated so you can clean it off. The keys do pop off but be gentle.

Let the keyboard dry for a day or two - make sure it's absolutely dry. I would avoid applying heat to make it dry faster.

If you're at the point of having to replace the keyboard, then it's worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

I think it would still be easier to just buy a replacement keyboard on ebay... They arn't that expensive....

im not sure what ibook you have so:
for an ibook g3 12"
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G3-Keyboar...2-iBook-Great-
Condition_W0QQitemZ8752214642QQcategoryZ4601QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

for a 14" ibook g3
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iBook-14-G...QQcmdZViewItem

they have g4 keyboards also... Is your ibook a g4?

Report offensive posts
Don't forget to use the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
dan from pa

I can't run the hardware test CD or any other CD.
The keyboard is fine now, I just can't do anything with the computer.
It is a G4 by the way
Thanks,
Dan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Speakers | Can I watch DVD's on my iBook? »