New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - PISMO swappable parts question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

desrosiers13

desrosiers13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

im new to this computer and im having a combo drive installed in the right swappable port...i was looking up other hot swap parts and they all say for the right side. are most of them made for the right side? cause thats where im having my new drive installed in, and i think its permanant and i dont want to screw myself over. any info on this computer whould be appreciated!! its the 500Mhz version.

also, can it handle pc133 memory? or pc100 only?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I think that only the right-side bay can accept devices or batteries...the left side bay is just a battery bay. (Some really old PowerBooks did have two full-function bays, but that was dropped somewhere along the line.)

Pismos had a 100MHz bus, so you can put PC133 in it, but it'll only run at PC100 speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gig ram, 120 gig-----Powerbook G3 Pismo 500, 1gig ram, 80 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW

do you know hot this would compare to my ibook 800?? i will have over 700 memory in the pismo and its 500mHz.

where can i get one of those extra batteries?
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrosiers13
do you know hot this would compare to my ibook 800?? i will have over 700 memory in the pismo and its 500mHz.

where can i get one of those extra batteries?
Batteries: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/power...tery/g3-pismo/

also search pismo battery and lombard battery on eBay there are LOTS of used batteries on ebay, but they may not be in great shape. I've got one of the newertech batteries and they are awsome.

As previously discussed the left side [as far as I know] is only for batteries. Your combo drive upgrade will be swappable. You can also get zip drives, and hard drives for the right bay.

The Pismo is a nice little machine hope you enjoy it.
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

are you sure the combo drive will be swappable? i was told it was origionally made for a g4 and they worked it to fit in the pismo. heres a pic of what it will look like. http://www.buyresale.com/PHOTOS/APPL...lotdrive1.html
QUOTE Thanks
desrosiers13

are you sure the combo drive will be swappable? i was told it was origionally made for a g4 and they worked it to fit in the pismo. heres a pic of what it will look like. http://www.buyresale.com/PHOTOS/APPL...lotdrive1.html

ok, so a battery can hook up into the left side, where is the other battery?? fdoes it plug into the bottom or something??
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrosiers13

ok, so a battery can hook up into the left side, where is the other battery?? fdoes it plug into the bottom or something??
yes the combo is swappable. the one in the picture looks just like the one I made for mine and it is swappable.

The regular battery is in the left side. The second battery goes in the right side (instead of the optical drive).... so take out your combo drive and stick in a second battery. You now have double the run-time of a single battery.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering deleted files | External Speakers »