AlexN
    No built-in Modem on PowerBook and MacBook Pro?
    I just purchased the new MacBook Pro, I've been wanting to get the PowerBook for some times now, finally my patience paid off.

But I just noticed from the pics that the PowerBook and MacBook Pro don't seem to have built-in Modem jack tha iBooks have.

I just want to verify that it's true. Anyone?

Thanks

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    If you look HERE you will note that the Apple USB modem is an option. That tells me the thing has no built in modem. This should have been an option you could have selected when you ordered yours, I'm assuming you ordered from Apple. What did you pick?

You did read the options before you made the purchase, right?

Specs:
    Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
    You can always order one individually...
    I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.

AlexN
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss
    This should have been an option you could have selected when you ordered yours, I'm assuming you ordered from Apple. What did you pick?
    Opps, I overlooked that one. But never mind, not that I really need it.

I ordered the 1.83GHz model, with 2GB RAM and 120GB HDD. The estimate shipping date is Feb 15, so it's a whole month away before I can get it... neye:

I will take some pictures comparing my iBook to the MacBook Pro once I received the actual product. :biohazard

menace3054
    my powerbook has a modem

Specs:
    MacBook
    I just bought a PowerBook and it came with a modem, and no, I didn't have to specially request it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    I just bought a PowerBook and it came with a modem, and no, I didn't have to specially request it.
    But the Macbook pro's do not come with a 56k modem built in. It does have gigabit ethernet and wireless internet. It's more cable/dsl broadband ready, I don't use 56k personally, but maybe Apple figured that not many professionals use 56k dial up anymore. The option is still there if you really want it though.

Specs:
    Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
    You wouldn't believe the amount of *****ing over at CNet and Engadget about this. I mean, you're shelling out $2000+ for a laptop, and you can't even spare $50 for a modem add-on that can't be that difficult to keep track of?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I would hope that if you have the money to shell out for a MacBook Pro you'd certainly have enough to afford broadband, especially with DSL starting at $14.00 a month.

Come into the modern age already!
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb
    I would hope that if you have the money to shell out for a MacBook Pro you'd certainly have enough to afford broadband, especially with DSL starting at $14.00 a month.

Come into the modern age already!
    Well even if, it's an extra $50 for the USB-to-Modem dongle. Is it that much to pay an extra $50 for it? Especially when we do live in an age where you can get DSL for $14/ month?

zap2
    i guess apple is push old thinks out, but i know modems have there pluses but wireless is become a basic need on a laptop

just like apple did with Floppy drives

London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Canada
    Specs:
    Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
    Why dont you all stop your bloody whinging?

For those of us who have to travel the world and are not in the good old usa. a modem is life saver. Yes you would be surprised my modem I have used in India, africa, Bosnia, kosovo, spain, portugal and germany to name some. And yes I can afford the bloody money. However it is another piece of crap to carry. Its not like they have used the bloody space to add an additinal usb port, would not have been so bad then. Besides it is an individuals right to complain. If they didnt I would be very worried.

Lets see have I remebered to carry that usb modem, oh no I havent cos its already on my bloody powerbook and wouldnt you know it does not eat up a usb port. Not quite literally a usb port....
    Who dare's wins... :ninja:

Thread Information