New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Mid 2007 RAM/Hard Drive Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raff

Raff is on a distinguished road

Hello all

I have a white mid 2007 Macbook (MB061LL/A) 1GB RAM (2 x 512MB) with a 250GB Samsung HN M25250 MBB hard drive installed. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I cant justify or afford to buy a new Macbook as I have an iPad and only use the Macbook for occasional downloads, iTunes, E-mail and internet browsing.

My questions are:

I have found this RAM from crucial and wondered if this will improve my Macbook's speed?

2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB061LL/A Laptop/Notebook, CT613250 from Crucial.com

Is this is the maximum RAM that can be installed as i'm sure i've read somewhere that it can take 2 x 2GB of RAM but will only use just over 3GB?

Regarding the hard drive, can somebody suggest (I don't know if this is possible) any 500GB or more hard drive that would work well (I have a lot of music to store). I have limited knowledge of this and don't know weather to go for a solid state or a 'normal' drive?

Lastly would downgrading to Leopard improve the overall speed? Or any other tips on improving overall performance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Raff
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff View Post

I have found this RAM from crucial and wondered if this will improve my Macbook's speed?
Since you currently only have 1gig of ram…more ram will certainly help.

Quote:
Is this is the maximum RAM that can be installed as i'm sure i've read somewhere that it can take 2 x 2GB of RAM but will only use just over 3GB?
You got it right. You can install 4gig of ram…but only around 3.25gig will be addressable.

Quote:
Regarding the hard drive, can somebody suggest (I don't know if this is possible) any 500GB or more hard drive that would work well (I have a lot of music to store). I have limited knowledge of this and don't know weather to go for a solid state or a 'normal' drive?
As long as the hard drive is a laptop hard drive (2.5")…and it's height/thickness is around 9.5mm or less…it will fit. You decide on the HD size. As far as a solid state drive. This is going to cost a lot more…and you're going to get a lot less storage space.

Quote:
Lastly would downgrading to Leopard improve the overall speed?
No…downgrading to Leopard would not be a good idea. You could upgrade to Lion (10.7) if you wanted to. But Apple no longer sells Lion online or at the Apple Stores…so you have to call them directly (not an Apple Store) to purchase it.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raff

Many thanks for the reply Nick. Gonna upgrade the RAM (2x 2GB) and try a 'normal' hard drive as appose to SSD, then upgrade to Lion.

Are there any HD's to steer clear of?. I've seen Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung & Kingston?

Cheers again
Raff
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Many thanks for the reply Nick. Gonna upgrade the RAM (2x 2GB) and try a 'normal' hard drive as appose to SSD, then upgrade to Lion.
Sounds like a solid plan!

Quote:
Are there any HD's to steer clear of?. I've seen Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung & Kingston?
I typically say buy whatever is the least expensive size HD that fits your needs (from a major name manufacturer). Other folks will have their favorite/less favorite brands.

Being a mechanical device...ANY hard drive can fail at ANY time…so as long as you keep your important items backed up you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Raff

Hi Nick

Thank you very much for the advice. I also found your links to beachballs/speed up advice very helpful. Never even knew about Activity Monitor.

Many thanks
Raff
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Never even knew about Activity Monitor.
Activity Monitor can be one of those apps. that no one pays attention to until problems arise. Activity monitor can provide a surprising amount of info.

Good luck with the upgrades!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much should I ask for a "broken" Macbook Pro 13" from 2009? | Help this young lady Please »