New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Working/stable games for 13-inch Intel HD Graphics MBP/MBA?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msh441

msh441 is on a distinguished road

Greetings, Iím a new owner of a late 2012 13-inch (non-retina) MBP. I wanted the retina model, but couldnít do without an optical drive, or fathom owning a laptop in which I couldnít upgrade RAM or swap out a HD (I anticipate going to a faster SDD, someday).
Specific specs of my 13:

-2.9GHz i7
-Intel HD Graphics 4000
-16GB 1600MHz RAM
-1TB (big!) 5400rpm (yet slow) HD
-Generally running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) via Bootcamp (But 250GB set aside for OS Mountain Lion when desired)

So I wasnít foolish enough to be buying this particular laptop as a gaming machine. Itís primarily a portable internet, word processor, music management machine and occasional BMW tuning machine for me. I would however, like to OCASSIONALLY like to play a game here-and-there.

What Iíve found is that the specs of the device, donít necessarily directly relate to how the 13-inch MBP will play particular games. I had some hopes and expectations that it would at least handle a few of my old favorites (Fallout 3 being #1 on my wish list), but itís really hit-or-miss as to what works (or can be tweaked to work) properly. One of the main issues seems to be the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphic chip. Wish there was a way to allocate more system memory manually. So what I was hoping to do with this thread was compile a list of games known to work with the 13-inch MBP/MBA or other MacBook with the integrated Intel graphics chip. If anyone is interested in contributing to the list, it would be much appreciated. I was thinking it would be good to include the following:

-Name of game/version
-MacBook specs
-OS/version
-Necessary tweaks to get it running right
-Game graphics settings and results

So far, Iíve tried Fallout 3 and after some tweaking, got it running, but found it to be too unstable. GTA IV has given me some strange draw issues that I have not tried to troubleshoot as of yet. My first fully-operational success has been:

-Mafia II
-Specs/OS stated above
-No tweaks necessary and a very playable 30-34 FPS on High settings! A wired USB two-button mouse however, is a necessity (no Magic Mouse and my other wireless USB two-button mouse was jumpy)

Again, I would sincerely appreciate any contributions to this list of ďconfirmed stable/workingĒ games.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A little bit of advice please | Late 2008 MacBook wakes from sleep by itself »