New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Super Slow, Maintenance?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zeech

zeech is on a distinguished road

I've had my Macbook Pro for about 2 years now and it has pretty much screeched to a halt. Super slow for every application. Is there some sort of maintenance I am supposed to be doing? With my PCs I've always done the Disk Cleanup but does that even exist on a Mac? Please help. I'm about to throw this $2000 piece of junk in the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Many things can effect the speed on your MBP. Hard drive being too full or perhaps failing, not enough memory, types of programs you're running and so on. The first thing I would do is download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup program and run it in auto mode to see if that speeds things up somewhat. Please do not use any other cleaning program as most are worthless. Here is the download LINK for OnyX.
QUOTE Thanks
zeech

Should I use the Beta one or the 2.4.8 one? My OS is 10.6.8.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The Beta version is safe to use. I routinely use their Beta versions as they are usually very stable.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Thanks well it said to do the MacKeeper first so I did that and supposedly there were all these critical issues which they fixed some of before asking for my credit card number, so that was the end of that.
You apparently ignored what I advised you:

Quote:
Please do not use any other cleaning program as most are worthless.
As Harry stated in his reply, get rid of MacKeeper.
QUOTE Thanks
zeech

Thanks well it said to do the MacKeeper first so I did that and supposedly there were all these critical issues which they fixed some of before asking for my credit card number, so that was the end of that.

I did download one of the older versions of the OnyX because the first one wouldn't take because I have 10.6.8 (wow I didn't realize I was so out of date) and there were these options on the top of the screen, "verify" and "clean" and I did the verify thing which looks to be the same program that is on the Mac itself in Disk Utility. I did this last night and there were all these disk permission errors which I supposedly fixed but they are still there for the OnyX one as well? And then after the big long list comes up, the "execute" button is still there so I clicked it again and the same big list comes up so I'm wondering 1) why is it saying it's fixed but it's not and, 2) What is a disk permission error anyway?

So once I finished with that I clicked "clean" and that supposedly cleaned out everything at least that makes me feel better when I do that anyway.

Thanks, guess I am not too savvy on these things.
QUOTE Thanks
zeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You apparently ignored what I advised you:
Nope, didn't ignore you. When you click on the Onyx link it had in big letters "clean your mac before you download OnyX." Did not realize it was a third-party application. They're sneaky like that
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Wow first up get rid of MacKeeper which is crapware!

The biggest critical error is MacKeeper itself.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3021

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddict.

MacAddict. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD

What version do you download if you have mountain lion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scaling MBP 13" Retina - anyone use a higher res? | Would a MacBook be obsolete when I go to college? »