New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

FastMac Superdrive burning problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hayesnconfuzed

I own a 15'' powerbook with a newly installed aftermarket fastmac uj-845s superdrive. The drive will absolutely not burn dvd's any more, no software on my computer will burn anything. I get a hardware error message every time I try to burn. The store where I got the work done still tells me it is a software issue. Can this really be?
QUOTE Thanks
hayesnconfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesnconfuzed
I own a 15'' powerbook with a newly installed aftermarket fastmac uj-845s superdrive. The drive will absolutely not burn dvd's any more, no software on my computer will burn anything. I get a hardware error message every time I try to burn. The store where I got the work done still tells me it is a software issue. Can this really be?
it says

"sense key=hardware error
sense code=0x09, 0x09
Track following error"
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would try different media.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
funkylewis

funkylewis is on a distinguished road

hi, i have the same superdrive in my mac mini and have been having similar problems. this is not a software issue. the mats-hita (sorry had to do that to get around mat****a) superdrive is defective, either a hardware issue or firmware. there are a few issues with this drive:
* Burning not possible over speeds of 2x with correct media (drive is rated at 8x)
* Buffer underun not able to be checked in burn settings
* 5% success rate when burning at 1x
* the two errors i have recieved are:
- buffer underun
- cannot write medium - incompatible format

take a look at this site, and also another few forum threads.
as for trying different media, this will not achieve anything but a waste of money and more coasters.

http://superdrive.crc.id.au/

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/6521/

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/278885
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No built-in Modem on PowerBook and MacBook Pro? | ibook g4 1.33 Ram »