New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrading Ram Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

solarith

solarith is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G

Okay, so I got one of the new Powerbooks back in Nov (and I'm not the slightest bit miffed about the new Macbooks, k. I LOVE THIS POWERBOOK TO DEATH AND WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING). I just have the standard 512mb of memory, and would like to upgrade.

My question: Should I buy a 512mb stick from crucial and use both 512mb for 1gb total? Or should I buy a 1gb stick and use both for 1.5gb? Can I even do the latter?

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
solarith

Oh, BTW, do both sticks have to be the same speed? IE 4200 or 5300? Right now I have 1 512 4200, so I should get another 4200 stick?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

RamJet

Cheaper than crucial and just as reliable. I was interested in 2GB and worked him down to $225 shipped.
Yes, get another 4200.
Yes, you can do the latter. There are 2 slots, neither are hard-soldered, you can replace both, or just add one.

EDIT: just looked at their new prices, they're now even cheaper than when I bought my RAM. 2GB is only $200

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
solarith

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
RamJet

Cheaper than crucial and just as reliable. I was interested in 2GB and worked him down to $225 shipped.
Yes, get another 4200.
Yes, you can do the latter. There are 2 slots, neither are hard-soldered, you can replace both, or just add one.
Thanks, you rock
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

Go for the maximum RAM you can afford. You don't have to match modules. Get the PC4200 (DDR-2 533 MHz) there's no point getting RAM that's faster than your memory buss can go.

Also check out Data Memory Systems for modules - they are currently at US$ 98

Thanks
Trevor
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Go for the maximum RAM you can afford. You don't have to match modules.
I disagree with this statement.

If you NEED your Powerbook to perform at absolutely max capacity on intensive software, like video or graphics editing software, then by all means you should max out your RAM and buy all that you can afford. And if you're doing that sort of work, you know it--you're not just messing around with iPhoto now and then.

But if you're just a little miffed that Microsoft Word lags a taddy bit when you have ten applications open, or that Safari gives you the pinwheel when you've got 30 tabs or windows of it open, then get 512MB stick and call it a day.

RAM, like diamonds, becomes exponentially more expensive as the capacity increases. Don't make the mistake that lots of Powerbook users make by paying for extra speed that they'll neither appreciate nor use.
QUOTE Thanks
CanadaRAM

CanadaRAM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn4jenny
I disagree with this statement...
RAM, like diamonds, becomes exponentially more expensive as the capacity increases. Don't make the mistake that lots of Powerbook users make by paying for extra speed that they'll neither appreciate nor use.
Well, that's where the "you can afford" factor comes in... :miner:

In any laptop, if you have enough RAM that you don't have to write pageouts to the hard drive, then you may be able to get more battery life by the hard drive being able to sleep.

At US$98 per Gb. it'll hardly break the bank : the sensible choice on this Powerbook is between 1.5 Gb for $98 or 2 Gb for $196. Putting in a second 512 Mb for US$49 and maxing out the machine's sockets at 1 Gb for a savings of $49 doesn't make much sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Would this make sense | fan speed on ibook g4 »