New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Air storage problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jxdaily

jxdaily is on a distinguished road

My dad just bought me this 64gb Air. I want to download Adobe After Effects and possibly Final Cut Pro X (7GB all in all) but here's the problem, I only have 37GB left on my storage and I'm afraid that after downloading these two, my air would severely slow down not to mention the extra GB needed while editing videos.

Do you have tips on how to free some extra space? Is it possible to put others apps on my hard drive. Sorry for the questions, first time to have a mac. Huhu.

and is there any way i could pinpoint which files exactly fill up my 64gb? (please refer to the image below)

It says i used up some space for movies, but I don't remember downloading any

Thank you alot!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

An SSD does not really slow down the same way as a mechanical drive does.

On a new machine there really is not going to be much there to delete.
You'll have that little Apple video that runs the first time you turn on a new machine.

The best app, imho, to see what all and where stuff is on your drive is WhatSize.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Wow. My iPad and iPhone both have 64 GB storage and I pretty much use it all. My 2012 13" MBA has 512 GB and I use that as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, thinking an external storage device will be next on the list - sooner rather than later.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading to 1TB hard drive before week's end | Macbook, column of screen distortion »