New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should I restore? a Floor Model PBook G4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pj5000

hi. just bought a powerbook :black: 15in G4 1.67ghz, 1280 res model...and it was the last one, it was on the floor(not literally). the manager took off $250 big ones and i walked away with it for $1650. Firstly, do you think that's a good deal? This is not the new Hi-Res pb's. It has a dvi adapter, it's not built-in, it's a 64 graphics card, not the 128....what do you think? Should I keep it or upgrade to the hi-res?
and lastly, should I do a system restore and start from scratch or should i just leave it going as is...from the floor....? thanks anyone! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
pj5000

what CD's come with a new pb? I only have two(OS9 install & OS 10.3.7 install). i'm wondering if i am missing any cd's, such as iLife or 10.4? any info would be great...thanks.

my info:
2005(march production)powerbook/15in/1.67/1280x850res/superdrive/80gbHD
QUOTE Thanks
jn4jenny

Firstly, congrats on your new Powerbook! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Your deal was okay, certainly not a ripoff. That exact machine happens to sell on the used retail market for (surprise) $1610-$1650 at places like Mac Connection, so it would be comparable to buying a used Powerbook from a third-party vendor in a non-Ebay setting.

The model you bought did not come with OS X Tiger originally (it debuted in 1/05 and Tiger didn't come out until March), so I'm not surprised if that System Restore CD comes with OS X 10.3.7. If the machine is loaded with Tiger right now, then obviously you don't want to do a system restore and erase Tiger. If that's the case and you'll lose Tiger in a System Restore, then just run some utilities like Onyx and Applejack to clena the machine up, and then leave it as-is. The machine also did not come with iLife originally, so you're okay if you don't have that CD.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get $1650 for it on the used private market (the same machine can be had for $1350 on Ebay, and those machines are upgraded beyond the base specs and usually come with OS X Tiger) so it makes sense to hold on to this machine for a little while unless you want to take a financial loss. It will certainly last long enough for you to see how the Intel Powerbooks turn out, whenever they show up.
QUOTE Thanks
pj5000

thanks jn4jenny for the info. i was thinking $1650 might be an average deal, esp. for a floor model. i think i have the option of returning it within 3 weeks for an upgrade to the latest hi-res pb. however, i've read about lots of bugs with the hi-res 15 inch pbs...grinding noises and most notably, the scanlines issues. do u think it's worth keeping or should i just upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

wait, did the floor models have awesome software on them...did they remove that b4 selling it to you?
QUOTE Thanks
pj5000

nothing special on the floor model, except Tiger. i think the earlier pbooks from 2005 only had Panther. besides that, not much else....i think i've made my decision. i'm taking it back, paying the $350 and getting me the hi-res model. i just hope i get a good one......
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« command to copy bookmarks & mail | My Macintosh HD is invisible or something... »