01-06-2006, 11:38 PM #1pj5000GuestShould I restore? a Floor Model PBook G4?
hi. just bought a powerbook :black: 15in G4 1.67ghz, 1280 res model...and it was the last one, it was on the floor(not literally). the manager took off $250 big ones and i walked away with it for $1650. Firstly, do you think that's a good deal? This is not the new Hi-Res pb's. It has a dvi adapter, it's not built-in, it's a 64 graphics card, not the 128....what do you think? Should I keep it or upgrade to the hi-res?
and lastly, should I do a system restore and start from scratch or should i just leave it going as is...from the floor....? thanks anyone! :headphone
01-07-2006, 01:54 AM #2pj5000GuestCD's with New PB?
what CD's come with a new pb? I only have two(OS9 install & OS 10.3.7 install). i'm wondering if i am missing any cd's, such as iLife or 10.4? any info would be great...thanks.
01-07-2006, 07:03 AM #3jn4jennyGuest
Firstly, congrats on your new Powerbook! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Your deal was okay, certainly not a ripoff. That exact machine happens to sell on the used retail market for (surprise) $1610-$1650 at places like Mac Connection, so it would be comparable to buying a used Powerbook from a third-party vendor in a non-Ebay setting.
The model you bought did not come with OS X Tiger originally (it debuted in 1/05 and Tiger didn't come out until March), so I'm not surprised if that System Restore CD comes with OS X 10.3.7. If the machine is loaded with Tiger right now, then obviously you don't want to do a system restore and erase Tiger. If that's the case and you'll lose Tiger in a System Restore, then just run some utilities like Onyx and Applejack to clena the machine up, and then leave it as-is. The machine also did not come with iLife originally, so you're okay if you don't have that CD.
Unfortunately, you're not going to get $1650 for it on the used private market (the same machine can be had for $1350 on Ebay, and those machines are upgraded beyond the base specs and usually come with OS X Tiger) so it makes sense to hold on to this machine for a little while unless you want to take a financial loss. It will certainly last long enough for you to see how the Intel Powerbooks turn out, whenever they show up.
01-07-2006, 12:52 PM #4pj5000Guest
thanks jn4jenny for the info. i was thinking $1650 might be an average deal, esp. for a floor model. i think i have the option of returning it within 3 weeks for an upgrade to the latest hi-res pb. however, i've read about lots of bugs with the hi-res 15 inch pbs...grinding noises and most notably, the scanlines issues. do u think it's worth keeping or should i just upgrade?
01-07-2006, 04:23 PM #5
wait, did the floor models have awesome software on them...did they remove that b4 selling it to you?
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM #6pj5000Guest
nothing special on the floor model, except Tiger. i think the earlier pbooks from 2005 only had Panther. besides that, not much else....i think i've made my decision. i'm taking it back, paying the $350 and getting me the hi-res model. i just hope i get a good one......
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By verde in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 2Last Post: 09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
By RJP1267 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital PhotographyReplies: 4Last Post: 11-13-2010, 02:15 AM
By pinkstink in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 0Last Post: 05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
By zitt in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 8Last Post: 03-21-2009, 08:16 AM
By s80kyle in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 1Last Post: 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM