Buy retina display MacBook 13" -- OR -- Stay with MacBook Pro 2009 (8GB RAM)
    What I'm really wondering is when 8GB RAM will be dated. I'm a freelance graphic designer/architecture student so I need my MacBook to do some heavy lifting.

I'd like to update my MacBook after now having it for 3 years and the retina display is very tempting on the 13" when released, but I really don't like the un-upgradable RAM soldered to the board.

I probably won't be able to afford the 16GB model if they release one, so I'll have to go with 8GB, which is what I currently have in my mid '09 MacBook Pro.

So which is better -

- Buying the 8GB retina MacBook Pro (an not having a RAM upgrade)
    - Upgrading my mid '09 MacBook Pro with an SSD

Thanks in advance.

Retina Display
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalOh View Post
    What I'm really wondering is when 8GB RAM will be dated. I'm a freelance graphic designer/architecture student so I need my MacBook to do some heavy lifting.

I'd like to update my MacBook after now having it for 3 years and the retina display is very tempting on the 13" when released, but I really don't like the un-upgradable RAM soldered to the board.

I probably won't be able to afford the 16GB model if they release one, so I'll have to go with 8GB, which is what I currently have in my mid '09 MacBook Pro.

So which is better -

Thanks in advance.

If you are not getting a performance boost then why upgrade?

That's a valid point!

I guess the allure of the upgrade itself (and retina display) interests me.

But I am leaning towards the SSD upgrade. I guess I was just wondering if it's worth upgrading anything at this point, if I find that I'll be needing 16GB RAM around the corner...

That's a valid point!

I guess the allure of the upgrade itself (and retina display) interests me.

But I am leaning towards the SSD upgrade. I guess I was just wondering if it's worth upgrading anything at this point, if I find that I'll be needing 16GB RAM around the corner...
    the only problem with the 13" line of MBP's is the dual core limit. not sure if that will change with the new retina model. and dont get me wrong i would love to have a retina display MBP. I usually have to talk myself down after every new model release. i have a 3yr old MB Air and love it, just wish i could upgrade the RAM.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5

So which is better -

You didn't really mention having any specific problems with your '09 MacBook Pro…so I'm not sure I see a need for an expensive computer purchase with the info presented so far. An SSD will make your computer feel "snappier"…especially when rebooting the computer, opening applications, and saving large files.

Also…if you wanted the better performance of a faster cpu and graphics…you could consider a "non-retina" 2012 MacBook Pro…and have the flexibility of being able to upgrade the ram at a later time.

Yes…with this choice you don't get the retina display…but do you really NEED it.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information