New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook Fan: Always On

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ilnyckyj

Ilnyckyj is on a distinguished road

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 1.5, and the fan is almost always on. Literally, the only time it shuts off is if i close every program. I've gone into the task manager, and i have no extra programs running in the background, I don't even have any Dashboard widgets running. And yet the fan continues to run. I don't expect it to be off all the time, but it would be nice if it didn't get really hot, and it would be nice if i didn't have to listen to this whirring when i'm doing something as simple as reading a page on Safari (that was loaded 5 minutes ago)

Hard disk botomside is 112~ and processor topside is around the same, usually a bit lower.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

a lot depends on the surface your PB is on. i know i have a glass desk and my fan runs all the time since glass doesn't do a good job at taking away heat. but when i put my PB on the granite counters the fan wont go on for a long long time. i wouldn't complain about the loudness of the PB fan unless you have used some PC laptops from HP or Dell. especially the laptops that have P4s they can heat a room up and make a ton of noise. also keep in mind what performance level you are running at when plugged in i know i have mine to run at highest levels of power when plugged into AC but then i tell it to conserve when running on battery and my fans will die down a bit and sometimes just go off completely.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« battery life | Powerbook 12" Ram? Is this right? »