New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Damaged Top Case

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gbac16

gbac16 is on a distinguished road

Hi, first time poster in need of advice. My niece spilled H20 on her MacBook. After powering down and waiting a few days, she powered up. Everything still worked with the exception of several of the keys. They would respond erratically or incorrectly. After reading posts, I assumed it was the top case that needed to be replaced. I purchased a case on Ebay, and replaced it. Now the machine will not boot at all. I am thinking that the case I purchased has a bad power button.
What I would like to do is to short the power connection on the logic board to see if it will boot. If it does not, then I know I need to go over my work to be sure I reconnected everything properly. Can anyone explain, preferably with a link, as to how to short the power button? Thanks.

Probably should have given the model: 2.4 GHz (A1342) MacBook Unibody 13"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

We just had a post in the last week very similar to yours. The reply included a diagram and what points on the logic board to short out. See if you can find it with a forum search. I wish I could remember the person who replied or I would point you to it.

You're in luck! I found it for you. Click on this LINK and follow the thread. He included a nice diagram with the points to short out marked in red.
QUOTE Thanks
gbac16

gbac16 is on a distinguished road

I actually read through this, but that is for a Pro, and it looks different to me when I have it open.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

OK, sorry for the false lead. Try this: Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart step by step for the MacBook. If you can't see anything there that helps, the site has a section where you can ask questions about repairs. I've used that myself before and found it to be invaluable. Lots of knowledgeable folks hang out there. Let us know if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I upgrade my memory? | Advice Needed »