New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Unable to free up space on my hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

galoshz

galoshz is on a distinguished road

Recently I have been getting the notice that I have no more free space on my hard drive. Although I do have a lot of video files and large pictures I didn't think I filled 750GB. Since then I have deleted large files, some up to 10 GB in size but two hours later I get the message that I have no free space again. I recently deleted a 1.5 GB file and then hit "Get Info" for my hard drive. I watched the free space tick down like I was downloading something, but I wasn't (to my knowledge).

I have a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 750 GB, 8 GB ram, 10.7.4

Virus?

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

When you "deleted" the files...did you remember to empty the trash (it has happened before)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
galoshz

Fair question but yes, I emptied trash. I tried secure empty trash too.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do you have any apps. that auto-load on startup...and might be causing an issue?

You could also check "Activity Monitor"...to see if there are any process going on that shouldn't be.

- Reboot the computer
- DON'T launch any apps. (other than Activity monitor)
- then check Activity Monitor

Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
galoshz

OK, I just found something. I just used Disk Inventory X and found that there is an email that is multiplying from my Yahoo account to the tune of 400+GB. It is in Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes/Recovered Messages (my account).mbox.

I suspect I can delete them all but any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again?
QUOTE Thanks
galoshz

OK, I deleted the file but 10 minutes later it has reappeared and repeatedly downloading this email. It is an email that I sent with an attachment. As I remember I was told that it was too big to send since it is 66MB. I use Mac's Mail program for all of my emails. I even went to my Yahoo account online but this message doesn't even appear in that account.

How do I prevent this from continuing to happen?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to reinstall cd burner to macbook pro | Hard Drive Upgrade: MacBook 4,1 »