New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro thinks I'm inserting blank DVDs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benjamin163

benjamin163 is on a distinguished road

I have many old pictures stored on DVDs.
I have successfully retrieved them from these DVDs for a number of years.
However, I inserted one today and my Macbook Pro told me it was a blank disk.
I inserted all the other and got the same message.
They certainly aren't blank.
I'm wondering what could have happened.
I don't know if the fact that I upgraded to 10.6.8 about three months ago is significant.
Other than that I don't know what to think.
Is it just a fault with the player?
Am I doing something ridiculously stupid?
Any help gratefully received.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Does it recognize commercial CD/DVDs? If it doesn't recognize those either, depending on the age of the MBP, the optical drive might have failed and you'll have to replace it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MrBobb

MrBobb will become famous soon enough

If ur lucky, its just needs a cleaning, one of those disc cleaner with tiny brushes maybe? Other sounds like a drive replacement is in order.
QUOTE Thanks
benjamin163

Thank you for your replies.
I just tried City of God in there and it works.
Although my partner says she has tried plenty of CDs that don't work.
Sounds like it may need a clean?
Although I'm wondering why it reads City of God but not my DVD's with photos on.
Worried!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Is City of god a DVD or CD?
QUOTE Thanks
benjamin163

Thanks for sticking with this.
It's a dvd.
My photos are on DVD and CD and neither are working. Computer thinks they are blank.
It has trouble reading lots of music CDs.
I have just tried a number of DVDs which worked fine, 1 music CD which the computer spat out, 4 blank DVDs with photos on. Three weren't read (one of those is still in the computer and wont come out) and one DVD with a film I burnt onto it ages ago which again wasn't read.
I guess it's safe to say it's having trouble with DVD disks that are old, and a few music CDs which can be new.
Maybe I should try cleaning it as suggested?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Cleaning is probably the cheapest thing you an try and if that doesn't work, a new optical drive is your only recourse..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MrBobb

MrBobb will become famous soon enough

Your photos? that sounds like a home-burn disc. So once upon a time they made a 3-laser drive to deal with the different disc formulations. So maybe one of the laser has gone bad/dark. Stick your vacuum cleaner's sucker by the door.
QUOTE Thanks
benjamin163

I bought a cleaner and it certainly helped. It now recognises there are files on the disk.
But it wont download them to iphoto.
The rainbow of death just keeps spinning.
It's no disaster, I can take the DVDs to another computer and put them on a stick.
But thanks for all the advice. It seems to me the player is a bit old and worn and just isn't reading certain disks any more, especially old ones I burnt.
thanks again for all the help. it's much appreciated and people like you ar why these forums are so damn helpful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« /Library/Receipts folder almost empty? | Is there a way to tell which laptop charger I have (wattage)? »