New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

1680x1050 high-resolution display option

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

familychoice

familychoice is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm thinking of going for a 1680x1050 high-resolution glossy upgrade with a new MBP purchase. Just a couple of questions:

Will the base model NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory cope well with the increased resolution? I know there have been a few issues with maxed out graphics cards with the Retina models, and though this isn't as hi-res as the retina, the graphics memory is half the size of that of the retina base model.

Will the 1680x1050 high-resolution display option provide better quality when connected to my 1920x1200 external display over the standard 1440x900 (native) option?

Sorry if these questions are a bit numpty-ish, I'd appreciate any help
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The built-in display has nothing to do with the external display. It's all down to the graphics card and the GT 650m will be fine.

My 27" 2560x1440 iMac runs just fine with a Radeon HD 4350 512mb

1680x1050 isn't going to trouble the 650M

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

The 650m is a great mobile GPU. As mrplow stated, you should have no problem with general use at all. I connect my 2012 matte MBP to a thunderbolt display (2560x1440) and it works beautifully. Now, I have the 1gig version of the GPU but that really isn't as important with general usage The only time I ever have trouble is with gaming but it's more that the GPU can't push 3D rendering at 2560x1440 at good framerates for some of the games I play (so I reduce the resolution for those particular games).

You don't necessarily need a ton of GPU RAM for general use (case in point - the system I'm on right now is an older iMac, 1680x1050 resolution, Mountain Lion, 128M GPU ram - system works great for general daily use and even works when I have to edit on it using FCPX).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
familychoice

familychoice is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies - that's answered my queries

I'm going to hunt down some screen grabs if I can of the hi-res upgrade for comparison (if anyone has any links I'd be grateful) and see how much difference it'll make to working on the laptop itself. If it doesn't make menus and text too small for my old eyes then I'll probably go with the upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Poor Macbook Pro Retina Battery Life | MacBook Pro runs very slow when unplugged »