New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Intel ssd 520 Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yellowbellied

yellowbellied is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro (late 2009). Tried to upgrade to a Intel 520 240GB SSD. Just will not work. Performance is extremely bad. I can't even hold down the option key to display the drive or the restore partition. It justs goes "poof" and disappears. Is this a bad SSD?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbellied View Post
I have a MacBook Pro (late 2009). Tried to upgrade to a Intel 520 240GB SSD. Just will not work. Performance is extremely bad. I can't even hold down the option key to display the drive or the restore partition. It justs goes "poof" and disappears. Is this a bad SSD?
try ssd as external drive, use ccc carbon copy clone to transfer see how it works. if not a bad SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Wow. I can't remember reading this many problems, stemming from the same issue, before.

Your MBP has standard SATA2 cables. Your SSD is a 6G card, meaning it is best suited, and designed to run as described on SATA3 connections. You will most likely continue to have this problem until you try a SATA2 SSD...sorry Not exactly sure which model you have, but the 17" MBP seems to have the most problems related to SATA2/3 compatibility.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
stevenaaus

stevenaaus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 Unibody Macbook

Hmmm - i bought an intel 520 SSD , and just thought to check no the web before i installed snow leopard on it in my 2008 unibody.

It seems that there's a major problem. Is anyone aware of the latest developments about this ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another "My MacBook is Dead" thread | No batteries available »