New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Z31daG33k

Z31daG33k is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8

Hay,I haven't been online for some time but anyway, I am debating on getting a 2012 BUT I found it would be cheaper to buy a refurbished macbook pro 2011 and upgrade the processor, RAM, and maybe put an SSD in it... and I wanted to know if it was possible to put a intel i7 ivy bridge processor in an 2011 MBP
more specifically this one Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

"Technology is only a tool-the end product, the thing that does matter is the experience." - Reggie Fils-Aime
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Upgrading the RAM and HD to a SSD is no problem. I doubt, however, that you can upgrade the processor.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You CANNOT upgrade the processor in an Apple laptop computer!

And even if you could...you certainly couldn't do it with a processor meant for a desktop computer (the link you provided).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Mac Specs: iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You CANNOT upgrade the processor in an Apple laptop computer!

And even if you could...you certainly couldn't do it with a processor meant for a desktop computer (the link you provided).

- Nick
Oh did not notice that it was for a desktop I knew you could upgrade processors in PC but don't know mutch about apple computers...yet so how mutch performance diffrence is there between 2nd (sandy bridge) and 3rd (ivy bribge) gen intel processors

"Technology is only a tool-the end product, the thing that does matter is the experience." - Reggie Fils-Aime
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z31daG33k View Post
Oh did not notice that it was for a desktop I knew you could upgrade processors in PC but don't know mutch about apple computers...
The processors in Windows laptop computers are not upgradeable either!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Quote:
The processors in Windows laptop computers are not upgradeable either!

- Nick
I thiught you could but it requires a BIOS update to do so and the new processor needs to be backward compatible
Or is that just with desktop computers

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Quote:
I thiught you could but it requires a BIOS update to do so and the new processor needs to be backward compatible
Or is that just with desktop computers
Only a few Windows laptops offer the possibility of being able to upgrade the processor. These laptops are usually the gaming rigs, with swappable processor chip sockets. These are also the laptops that way a ton and a half. Technically, the only way to replace a processor on a MBP is to replace the whole (logicboard)motherboard with something compatible from a MBP's higher end line.

Which ever way you do decide to go, I can vouch for Apple's refurbished lineup. I've had my MBP for 3 years now, and bought it refurbed from Apple. I'm glad I made that choice for the refurb because I now know to do it again.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd , moving the os to the new drive from the old one I assume it's not to hard Just put in new drive and install OSX but as far as I know Moutain lion is only on the app store and don't know how to install it on a new drive from the app store...

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd...
If you're talking 2011 MBP's...all of them can be upgraded to 16gig of ram. Swapping an SSD for the HD is not very hard...but then "hard" is always relative to a persons skill & experience.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd , moving the os to the new drive from the old one I assume it's not to hard Just put in new drive and install OSX but as far as I know Moutain lion is only on the app store and don't know how to install it on a new drive from the app store...
1. The ram can be upgraded up to 16gb of 1333MHz.
2. Upgrading hdd to ssd is as easy as upgrading hdd to a newer hdd. A fresh OS install is always recommended, and is almost mandatory for an SSD.
3. If you buy a new/refurb MBP from Apple, it will come with a recovery disk written onto the hdd. Since Lion is downloaded via App Store, it will save a file on to the computer, and not the harddrive. This lets you install OSX without needing a disc. This is what you will use to install the new operating system.

If you I were you, I would install the current operating system(one that comes with your computer...probably Lion), purchase the new Mountain Lion but DON'T install it yet. Save the ISO image of the install onto a flash drive, or hdd backup drive. Then you can use that to install ML. You do this so that you can always have the Mountain Lion install ready, because if you install right away after downloading it from the App Store, you lose the ability to save the install file.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Only a few Windows laptops offer the possibility of being able to upgrade the processor. These laptops are usually the gaming rigs, with swappable processor chip sockets.
Yeah...I probably should have said "most" Windows laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There are almost always at least some "odd-balls" that make the "all" statement not quite correct.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Z31daG33k

Thanks for the help that's all I need to know

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Yeah...I probably should have said "most" Windows laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There are almost always at least some "odd-balls" that make the "all" statement not quite correct.

- Nick
There's always an oddball somewhere to ruin just about all statements

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook freeze error? | DVD drive on new macbook not recognized by accuraterip »