New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

15" 1.67ghz PBs on eBay for ridiculously low prices...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBarbier

JBarbier is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb

What's the deal here? Has anyone else seen these deals on eBay? while I'm a bit apprehensive about buying such an important piece of equipment from eBay, I can't help but be swayed by these prices... They're selling 15" 1.67ghz powerbooks with 1gb RAM and superdrives for as low as $800.00 with free shipping... Probably too good to be true, I think, however... that's **** near 50% savings for a current model powerbook!!! Is it because the new intel macs are coming out? Or is this model of PB prone to breaking and there are a lot of refurbs on sites such as eBay? ****, what would YOU do? :black:
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

what is their feedback?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I would guess scam.
QUOTE Thanks
JBarbier

JBarbier is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
I would guess scam.
100% both of them... scam or not, i might try buying one using paypal credit (so I'll be protected) and see what happens.. **** just the components off of the computer would be make the price (almost) worthwhile...
QUOTE Thanks
niftyneil

niftyneil is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz 15.4" MBP 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Sounds too good to be true. I would be weary of anything that had that good of a deal.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

who are these sellers? Where do you see these good deals? I searched ebay, and didn't find the deals you are talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

A link maybe?

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

wheres the link?
QUOTE Thanks
thoughtCoat

There is this common scam on ebay where people advertise powerbooks for $500 or so but the auction itself is not for the powerbook, just like an ad for it. You are supposed to e-mail them and arrange the transaction outside of ebay. Big time scam.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Probably to good to be true. That or it's one of those auctions that starts at $0.99 and no one bids it high like the seller intended.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarbier
what would YOU do? :black:
Simple.
Never even consider buying a brand new computer from anyone on eBay.
eBay is fine for getting a used Mac, but never, never, NEVER attempt to think you are going to get a good deal for a new one. Like you already seem to know, if it sounds too good to be true, then it isn't.
Just get your new computer from Apple directly.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 500mhz iBook | Introducing myself »