New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Game Play on a MBP 13 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dphershman

dphershman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen

Last year my college student son said he wanted an MBP for school as all the 'cool' students used one. I said "fine, but just remember that the MBP just doesn't do games all that well".

Now he says that he regretted getting the MBP because it won't play Mass Effect 3. So he's bugging me for a new PC gaming laptop.

Would Bootcamp and Win7 allow his current 2011 13 inch MBP (2.3 ghz i5 with the standard Intel HD Graphics 3000) to run this game at a reasonable level of performance? I'm not a gamer at all so I'm not much of a judge of the hardware aspects of what constitutes 'adequate' performance.

Thanks......and apologies ahead of time if this topic has been beaten to death already.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Here are the System Requirements for Mass Effect 3 in Windows: LINK

Don't go by the minimum requirements, use the recommended requirements instead. And looking at them, your son's MBP may be able to play the game but at a very low frame rate. The HD 3000 GPU does OK for some games, but for others which demand more (like Mass Effect 3) it doesn't perform very well at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Chscag here. The HD3000 is OK, it's just not a gaming GPU and really won't perform terribly well. For higher end gaming, if sticking with a laptop you're going to want something more geared for gaming. Even the GT650m (which is a very nice GPU and I use it on my 2012 MBP to play many games) isn't strong enough to keep up high framerates unless you reduce resolution and/or settings from the default.

The closest compromise if you really want to have a single machine to do both OSX and bootcamp would and be a laptop would have to be the 15" MBP. If he wants to switch to a pure gaming laptop then you can either go cheap like Asus (less expensive, but still makes some nice gaming laptops), medium like Alienware (just not thrilled with dell who own's AW) / MSI or higher end like Sager or Origin

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
dphershman

dphershman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen

Thanks for the replies on the gaming question. I would love for there to have been a workaround, as I know that once he starts school in a couple of weeks he'll be wishing he had kept his MBP. (we ended up buying a Samsung Series 7).

There's at least one silver lining, I get to keep his 13 inch MBP as a second, slightly more portable laptop
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard keys not working on my macbook | Setting up a new hdd from a Time Machine Backup without the Installation Disc? »