New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New to apple. Macbook Air Current Vs old. and Vs Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmichael99

jmichael99 is on a distinguished road

i dont know much about Macs but i am slowly learning. I dont do hardcore stuff on a computer. maybe crop a picture here or there and watch some videos..mainly internet surfing and facebook. Since my current sony laptop is going to die here soon iv been thinking of a mac. So here are my questions

Im learning towards the MacBook Air because of the price with a Solid state drive for speed. The 128gb is fine as i can setup a NAS with little problem. But what about last years model of the Air. Can i still get it? and for what price? What are the differences between these models? Note that i would want the 8gb of ram just for future software upgrade needs.

What would the performence difference be between the Air and Pro? aside from the solid state vs normal harddrive. If i go with a Pro i will get the 15in

Also, facebook. Can i still play facebook games or will i need to install windows on an emulator. and would i open my computer up to hacks since windows always has security issues?

Im sure ill have more questions..so be gentle

i also know my company gets a discount. is a normal discount around $100 or something? (so i was told)
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Sure you can, complete with a full Apple warranty - look at the refurbs on apple.com. No possibility of memory beyond the 2011 limit of 4 GB though, they simply did not offer 8GB until the 2012's.

Have no idea what Apple discount there may to your company. You can always use Windows software on a MAC OS X machine using Parallels, Boot Camp, or other. You may give up half of the 128 GB drive to do so so you may want a bit larger SSD to work with.

My 2011 11" MBA (4 GB memory) is four times faster than my 2010 15" MBP (8 GB memory) . My 2012 13" MBA (8 GB memory) is fully eight times faster than the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
jmichael99

jmichael99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Sure you can, complete with a full Apple warranty - look at the refurbs on apple.com. No possibility of memory beyond the 2011 limit of 4 GB though, they simply did not offer 8GB until the 2012's.

Have no idea what Apple discount there may to your company. You can always use Windows software on a MAC OS X machine using Parallels, Boot Camp, or other. You may give up half of the 128 GB drive to do so so you may want a bit larger SSD to work with.

My 2011 11" MBA (4 GB memory) is four times faster than my 2010 15" MBP (8 GB memory) . My 2012 13" MBA (8 GB memory) is fully eight times faster than the MBP.
thanks for the reply. Iv decided on this years model because of the ram. and i found out you really can update the SSD so the smallest one will be fine
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering Deleted iPhoto pictures | MacBook Pro 2007 + Extrerna; DVD Drive »